> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Strip-Smart Quilts 16 Designs from One Easy Technique, by Kathy Brown

I always looking for new ideas to make fun quilts quickly.  As such, I was excited to see the new book "Strip-Smart Quilts 16 Designs from One Easy Technique", by Kathy Brown, published by by Martingale & Company, home of That Patchwork Place.


This book shares 16 designs all based on using strip sets and using the  Creative Grids 90° Double-Strip Ruler (or another right-angle triangle ruler with appropriate markings). I found this video on youtube where Kathy gave a trunkshow presentation to a quilt guild, of her beautiful quilts that are shared in this book.




Kathy starts off early, in this book,  sharing her Quiltmaking Rule-Breaking Basics, where she also emphasizes the need to starch for success.  Many of these designs work with bias edges, and starching helps to prevent these edges from stretching. Other insights on basic quilting include information on rotary cutting, cutting triangles, sub-cutting triangles, pinning, pressing, adding borders, and completing your quilt.



Quilt projects, in this book, range in size from 49"x60" to 72"x80" and use a variety of 2.5" strips to make beautiful quilts.  Fabric requirements for some patterns include yardage, fat quarters, or 1.5" strips.


All of the designs have material requirements, great instructions and excellent visuals, making this book perfect for beginner quilters as well as experienced quilters.  But for beginner quilters that have not worked with bias cuts, I'd recommend that they take some scrap fabric and practice cutting and sewing a few blocks before they cut into their fabric to make an entire quilt.  Tips in this book for working for bias are appropriate and quite helpful, where I feel a confident beginner would do well making quilts from this book.


I hope you get a chance to check out this book at your local quilt shop, or online at Martingale & Company.



12 comments:

Barb said...

I am a starcher....I go though starch like no body's business....

Love the quilts you showed.....and thanks for the insight!

Unknown said...

I sometimes have used starch but not often, must rethink this. I love the book and the techniques are great to learn..

Katie M. said...

I use a ton of starch also! And upon reviewing the pictures you posted, I'm seeing another book joining my quilting library :-)

Talin's Corner said...

Love the patterns in this book. I will have to go take a look at it.

Linda said...

Thanks for the review! I'll have to keep my eyes out for this book!

JudyCinNC said...

Thanks for this lovely review - I love all the quilts so far. Judy C in NC

Joanna said...

The designs are beautifuf. I use starch or sizing, too. I didn't realize it made a difference to the edges, just like the way it crisps the fabric.

sewfunquilts said...

Looks like a terrific one....and I love using Maryellen's Best Press "starch".

Anonymous said...

Thanks much!! I just ordered this book by Kathy Brown.

JJ said...

Wow, I love quick and easy and I love tricky rulers. I think I am the biggest sucker for rulers. Thanks for sharing I am going to go check out that book.

Jean said...

I never gave thought to using starch, thanks for sharing!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I would like to have this book and ruler. I haven't found it in my area, yet. I'm trying to buy local first.