> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Free-Motion Quilting Made Easy


Free-Motion Quilting Made Easy: 186 Designs from 8 Simple Shapes, by Eva A. Larkin and published by by Martingale & Company, home of That Patchwork Place, is a "must have "quilting book for anyone interested in learning free-motion quilting, or wanting to learn new designs.

Eva shares insights, in this book, that can help quilters learn the basics of free-motion quilting.   She has a great motto of "if you can draw it you can quilt it", and she shows you steps to to take basic shapes and turn them into a free-motion quilting design.    While there are 186 designs shared, all from 8 simple shapes, insights are also provided to help you learn to create your own designs.

The basic shapes used to create these free-motion quilting designs are hearts, diamonds ovals, loops and more.
This book has an excellent "Mix and Match Designs" gallery that would work great for quilting various blocks, and many design ideas for quilting borders.

Instructions are easy to follow making this an excellent book for those starting out on the journey to learn free-motion quilting.  And, it is a great resource for more experienced FMQ quilters that want to learn more FQM designs, as well as gain insights to help teach others the art of FMQ. 

Also, included is a gallery of quilts that show FMQ techniques shared in this book.  Eva does an excellent job sharing insights in this book on FMQ and I hope to see more quilting books sharing her insights in the future.

I hope you have a chance to check out this book at your local quilting store or at Martingale & Company's online store.  This will also be a great reference source for those taking the pledge for the 2012 Free Motion Quilting Challenge.





9 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

sounds good..going to check it out...thanks

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip!

Jocelyn said...

I just bought this book. I liked her shapes, and thought it looked doable. Thanks.

The Nifty Stitcher said...

I have that book - it's really good.

matate10 said...

I have been using this book for about a year and a half and it is definitely a must have!!! I HIGHLY recommend it!!

Mary said...

I have this book and refer to it a lot. It is a very good free motion quilting resource.
Mary

suemac said...

It looks like a great reference.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Great review...thanks for sharing.

Happy Thanksgiving too :)

Smiles,
Kelly

Jackie's Stitches said...

I have added this book to my Wish List on Amazon/Christmas list. I've decided that I *really* need to sign up for your FM Challenge. I hope I can keep up with it!