> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Layer 'em Up 2: Basically Boxes

Layer 'em Up 2: Basically Boxes, by Sharyn Craig, published by Cozy Quilt Designs is the second in a series of books by Sharyn Craig.  This quilt book is an excellent book for quilters of all levels that want to create fast & fun quilts.

Designs are based on a fun approach to piecing that is very forgiving.  The tecniques work well for scrappy quilts, planned color & print quilts, art quilts and more. 


Insights are shared to help with fabric selection, about pre-washing vs not-pre-washing, and more.

Instructions are provided with good visuals for basic construction of blocks, squaring up, sewing the quilt top and adding borders.

There are a number of beautiful photos for the quilt designs, using a variety of color waves and prints.  Each of the primary block designs come with cutting instructions that work with a number of sizes (eg. 3", 6", 7", or 8" finished block).


There are four primary block designs (e.g. Band box, Around the Box, Field of Box, and Condo Box) that are perfect for scrappy or controlled quilts.  You get to make the choice.  These designs are also perfect for yousing a Layer Cake, or other 10" square packets.


Insight are also included to help you layout your blocks using a straight set vs diagonal set.


I hope you'll get a chance to check out this fun quilting book at your local quilt shop, or at Cozy Quilt Designs online store.


Cozy Quilt Designs
2940 Jamacha Road, Suite H
El Cajon, CA  92019
619-670-1516
www.CozyQuilt.com



9 comments:

Barb said...

Thanks for the insight...I am trying to learn from your blog...but my memory is bad bad bad...although, I can remember I made brownies last night...HA!!

Mommarock said...

I love this type of design :)

Wacky Woman said...

Love it!

sewfunquilts said...

Sounds fun and easy...my choice of quilts here lately. Thanks for sharing about her book.

Dana Gaffney said...

That looks like a great book, fast and easy. I've been doing a lot of charity quilts lately, these look perfect for using up scraps and making quick quilts. Thanks I'm going to check it out.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Sharyn Craig's book looks like it has some fun designs in it! I get CozyQuilt's newsletter and always wish it was a store in my town as there is so much going on. Thanks for the great review.

Jean(ie) said...

Cutting instructions for different block sizes? That's great. Takes out the guessing/math... cool!

Ellen said...

Hello,
I just recently discovered your blog -- it's both fun and informative. The Pets on Quilts Show inspired my first visit. I love the photo with the squirrel! Is that your photo? I wanted to send it to two friends who take lots of photos and I wanted to give credit to the photographer. Thanks.

suemac said...

I love those designs. Look fairly easy.