> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Update on Pets on Quilts Show

Today, Friday, is the last day to enter the Pets on Quilts Show.  You can enter till midnight PST.  Everyone (those that entered the show and all viewers) are invited to vote for their favorites this coming Saturday & Sunday.  Just be sure to read the rules and submit your nomination for your favorites, in a variety of categories, on the show page, by Sunday midnight PST.

I have also heard from some that view they are "petless" so I want to share insights with you on my current pet and clarify the intent of the rules, which is all about having fun.

{above} This is a picture of my Barcelona Cat on a quilt I made many years ago that is hand pieced and hand quilted, with center blocks using some fabric that has a cute cat looking into a fish bowl.  I made this quilt while traveling, for use on our boat.  It was also a surprise gift to my husband. 

To my husband's delight the back of this quilt has an applique silhouette of our boat. I think he always liked the back more than the front.


This quilt isn't one of my best hand quilting projects, but was made as a quicky for a utilitarian quilt on our boat.  And, I must confess that I'm now having so much fun with machine quilting that I'm doubtful I'll ever tackle a handquilting project again.  Well, maybe one or two more.

Ok, back to my Barcelona Cat.  Our prior pets are now in Pet Heaven. While we love all sorts of pets, this just doesn't seem to be a good time in our lives for adopting a pet.  So, I'm always volunteering to babysit pets (for free).  When I was on a business trip in Barcelona and spotted a street vendor selling these cut cats, I had to have one to tease my DH about bringing home a stray cat from Barcelona.  Hey, I almost brought home a baby rabbit from a Chinese night market one trip.  Anyway, our Barcelona Cat is much loved and cuddled, but just not the same as a real pet.  So, I hope you understand that I live vicariously thru the Pets on Quilts Show and enjoy hearing stories and seeing photos of your Pets and your Quilts.

Realizing that there are many that do not have their own Pets, I want to emphasize that the Pets on Quilts show is all about having fun with a pet theme. Again, if you have a quilt that has a pet theme in design or print enter it.  If it has pet theme machine embroider enter it. If you want to borrow a neighbors pet and photograph it on your quilt enter it.  If you have a stuffed animal (aka my Barcelona cat) enter it.  If you have fish and can display your quilt next to your fish (or other pet) enter it.  There are a lot of pets that you can not easily situate on top of your quilt, so please understand that the rules are flexible and if you can get a photo of your quilt with your pet nearby, that too is fine. Just enter and share insights on your pet, past pet, stuffed pet, etc.  Just have fun. 

And, of course, I love to hear stories about rescued animals and ways to promote adoption of pets living in shelters.  Be creative.  Enter.

Lastly, I thought I'd share a photo of the first pass of the 2012 Pets on Quilts Calendar.  These three copies will become prizes for this show, but I will be making changes in future revisions of this calendar.  And, each revision will also contain a different collection of photos of Pets on  Quilts.  If you would like to submit a photo of your Pet on your quilt please email me before September lst.  These calendars will be used to raise funds for the Humane Society.



And please remember to go vote for your favorite entries, starting Saturday, Aug 20th thru Sunday, August 21st. 

I am hoping to be able to post all the winners of the Pets on Quilts Show on Monday, August 22nd. But I want to let you know I'm also traveling, so I may not be able to post insights on the winners until sometime Wed., Aug 24th. 

10 comments:

Wacky Woman said...

I have a friend who did bring home a stray cat from Barcelona. When it finally arrived in San Francisco (all the red tape), it was pregnant. :-) I have been enjoying the show tremendously.

Library Gal Quilts said...

My internet connection has been down and up all week and I have had almost no email. I have enjoyed all of this wonderful pet love! I really admire all the faithful owners (moms) and the beautiful quilts as well. Pets give us so much!

Michele Bilyeu said...

Your whole contest is amazing and I thoroughly enjoying following it if not participating. I totally love Barcelona on the matching quilt. A.d.o.r.a.b.l.e

I Quilt Scarlet and Gray said...

Thanks for organizing this show once again this year.

Gladys said...

I love your Cat Barcelona! And the quilt is so beatiful! I have been enjoying the show tremendously! Thank for organizing! A big hug for you!

Sand and Sunshine said...

I love this post. You're one special lady SewCalGal!

Maria Wallin said...

Awww, such an adorable story about the Barcelona cat! =)

I sent you a couple of photos for the calendar, you are such a fantastic person, both for hosting the show and for doing this for the humane society!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Your little Barcelona kitty is so cute! Thanks for putting this on, it has been so much fun to visit all the blogs.

Talin's Corner said...

Very cute. I am having fun looking at the entries and thanks for organizing this.

Teje said...

Hello! Sorry but I wasn't able to send you an e-mail. I would be interested to send you photo for the calender. For some reason Nero's name has disappeared from our Quilt Show link.
Have a lovely weekend!
"Nero's Post and Patch" (nerospost@gmail.com)