> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Monday, May 9, 2011

Having fun embellishing baby onesies

I enjoy machine embroidery and have particularly enjoyed some ME projects humming while I've been working on filing papers and organizing my sewing room.  One of my projects has been to embellish baby onesies, that get donated to baskets for wives of Military that are away fighting when their babies are born. 

Operation Homefront volunteers try to do a variety of things to help Military families, while one is away at war.  In my area there is a group that works to make baby quilts, layettes, and essentially create gift baskets for women that deliver babies when their spouse is off fighting. As I heard they were in need of onesies, I try to look for ways to decorate basic onesies.  Some I make are machine embroidered.

Some I've decorated with various applique' designs, of which the AccuQuilt GO! Baby and other AccuQuilt dies work great.


I've also been searching the internet to come up with a variety of ideas to decorate ones and wanted to share some that I found and am planning on using to create cute onesies:

Char at Crap I've Made has a cute Applique Tie Onesie Tutorial.

Running with Scissors has a cute tutorial for a Summer Onesie for a little girl.


B is for Boys has a super cute tutorial for a Little Gentleman's onesie.

UCreate has a fun tutoriahttp://www.u-createcrafts.com/2009/05/ruffle-butt-onesie-tutorial.htmll for ruffle butt onesies.


Michael Miller also has a free pdf full of cute ideas for applique' on onesies.

Onesies are fun to decorate and make great gifts.  If you have any recommendations on how to decorate onesies I'd love to hear your insights.

13 comments:

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

I love all these! So cute! I used my silhouette with heat transfer and fabric interfacing to make these... http://myfabricobsession.blogspot.com/2011/04/onesie-project.html There are tutorials on the silhouette blog.

Barb said...

These are all so adorable ..... and what a great cause you have found.

Joanne Lendaro said...

Love these!! Sooooo cute!

Tangos Treasures said...

Those are adorable!!!

JudyCinNC said...

Very creative and cute. Judy C

Dana Gaffney said...

They are all so cute. I painted on some of my daughters when she was a baby. My favorite is the ruffled butt, too cute.

Sara said...

Such cute ideas! Since I have my first grandbaby due to arrive soon, I will have to check some of these out. Thanks for sharing!!

Carole said...

What a cute idea! Thanks for sharing!

Wacky Woman said...

These are adorable. And, for a great cause.

Linda said...

What a great service project idea! Thank you. These are adorable.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Perfect timing!!! Thanks :)

Kelly

Susan Entwistle said...

Too cute. And thanks for telling us about Operation Homefront. I have to say, though, I LOVE the tie! :)

Mary Ann said...

This is a great way to use AccuQuilt dies - on clothes! Great idea!!