> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Improv Curved Seams with out Pins and Hexies Y Seams


Kimberly Jolly and the entire team at Fat Quarter Shop is focused on providing excellent customer service.  They also know we quilters love to learn and they are always sharing tips and tutorials on their blog, as well as you-tube channel.  

I recently asked them about piecing curves and they shared a youtube video that they created while at the Spring Quilt Market 2013.

Lisa Calle, of the Moda Bake Shop, demonstrates a couple of techniques which were recorded compliments of the Fat Quarter Shop.  SewCalGal was so inspired by this video tutorial that I tagged it as one of  "my favorite tutorials" and wanted to share it with you today.

In one of the demonstrations, Lisa uses a layer cake to make blocks with modern free-formed curves.  This looks like a fun and fast way to make quilts using layer cakes, as well as to use fabric in your stash.


Lisa has also shared the pattern for this "Happy Go Round" quilt design using her improve curved seam technique  on the Moda Bakeshop blog.


Lisa also shares tips in this video for using Honeycomb pre-cuts and strips to make a quilt.  And, she has shared the pattern for a cute Bo Ho Honeycomb quilt on the Moda Bake Shop blog.

While the tutorials at the Moda Bake Shop blog are excellent resources, this youtube video created by the Fat Quarter Shop is very helpful.




I hope you see why SewCalGal has added this video and Moda Bakeshop tutorials to my list of favorite tutorials!   Thank you Fat Quarter Shop, Lisa Calle and the Moda Bakeshop!

You can find the Fat Quarter Shop at:

Website:  www.fatquartershop.com

Blog:  http://www.fatquartershop.blogspot.com
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/FatQuarterShop

Twitter: https://twitter.com/FatQuarterShop
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/fatquartershop/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/FatQuarterShop?feature=watch


SewCalGal is interested if you've every made a quilt with curved blocks?  And, if you prefer traditional curved designs or how you like this modern free-form curved piecing?  Are you inspired to give Lisa's techniques a try?

Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Rebecca Grace said...

I've just done the one Drunkard's Path quilt that had curved seams. They weren't as bad as I thought they would be! I admire many improvisational pieced techniques, but I don't see myself going that route in the near future. I'm too much of a control freak, and right now I'm enjoying working on more traditional skill mastery.

Snoodles said...

I'm trying to break out of my rut...very traditional! Love the curves in Drunkards Path blocks, but I've never tried anything like what Lisa shows there. Thanks for sharing - sometimes we need to stretch and try new things!