> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Where and When Does Learning An Appreciation of Art Begin - 100 Days of Tombow


Ever wonder where and when does learning an appreciation of art begin?   While it can happen all around us, where ever we are, most of us had the good fortune to get our first exposure and appreciation to art and creativity at a very early age, commonly in grade school.  Unfortunately, our economic times have frequently resulted in financial cutbacks of our schools, that have often resulted in the elimination of programs that lead to artistic creativity and appreciation.  So, when SewCalGal heard of an opportunity that could help, of course, she wanted to help increase awareness of it.  And, I hope you too will be interested in spreading the word, as well as creating with some fun products.......
image002

Tombow is market leader for arts, crafts and office products, which serves creative people around the globe.  They were first established in Japan in 1913 as a wood-case pencil provider for Japanese students.  Over time, they have grown to having a large product portfolio that provide crafters with such items as glue sticks, liquid glues, adhesive tape, ballpoint pens, drawing pencils, dual brush pens and more!  And they are celebrating 100 years in business with a special program  called "100 Days of Tombow", which kicked off on March 9th, at the National Art Education Association Conference in Fort Worth, Texas.  
Tombow's "100 Days of Tombow" program is committing to provide up to $10,000 of Tombow art products to the  Council for Art Education, a national nonprofit dedicated to promoting and supporting art education and quality art programs nationwide.  Tombow will donate $100 for every blogger that participates in this program, up to $10,000.  SewCalGal signed up and hopes you'll want to sign up too.
Within a short time of signing up, SewCalGal received a Tombow Starter Kit, containing Dual Brush Pens, Irojiten Color Pencils and the Stamp Runner Adhesive.  I have used Tombow products for doodling, scrapbooking, cardmaking and crafting for years and always have enjoyed them. They are high quality and great value.  And I found this Starter Kit to be of excellent quality too!  But, as most of us are quilters first, I do want to clarify these products are not intended for use on fabric (not permanent), but could be used on mixed media projects that are not intended to be laundered.  And they are absolutely great for those that enjoy Zentangles, doodling of a variety of forms, as well as those practicing free-motion quilting designs by drawing out a design on paper.
Dual Brush Pen Market Set

{above} The Dual Brush Pen Set comes with six pens, each having two tips: one tip is a fine point perfect for drawing fine lines and writing, whereas the other tip is a brush which is perfect for painting colors and filling in designs.  The colors are vibrant and acid-free, making them excellent for use with photographs.  Definitely fun to doodle and create with.
Irojiten Colored Pencils


{above} Irojiten Color Pencils are high quality colored pencils perfect for doodling and sketching.

Adhesive Stamp Runner
{above}The Stamp Runner Adhesive allows a fine layer of adhesive, perfect for papers and photographs, with an easy to hold adhesive transfer tool. 

My Starter Kit arrived and I quickly had fun doodling, sketching, making greeting cards, scrapbooking and more.  With Easter coming, my mind also wanders thinking how fun it would be to be a kid and find such a kit inside of an Easter Basket.
my kit

{below} I had fun playing with the pencils and pens to blend colors on cardstock, folded to make a simple greeting card.

card with plumeria flower card with flower 1

{below} And, of course, I had fun doodling with pencils to practice various free-motion quilting designs. I also used card stock and plan to turn some of my doodling into greeting cards, bookmarks, etc..  I certainly am going to have more fun practicing free-motion quilting designs on paper using Tombow's beautiful colored pencils and pens in the future!

card with FMQ Feather doodle

{below} The Stamp Runner Adhesive works great when layering multiple sheets of papers, photographs, etc..  It is also an easy to use adhesive runner tool that even children can easily learn to use when crafting.
card with adhesive papers

What would you like to create with Tombow products?  Is there anything crafty that you'd  like to teach young kids, with Tombow products,  to get them to learn and appreciate art?
Would you like to help celebrate "100 Days of Tombow"?  Anyone can have fun creating with Tombow products.  You can typically find them at JoAnns, Michaels and other craft stores.  And, Tombow is looking for 100 bloggers that would like to create with one of their Starter Kits.  If you are a follower of SewCalGal, leave a comment on this post and let me know you are interested in participating in this celebration.  I'll submit a list of bloggers to my contact at Tombow on March 3rd, for you to fill any empty spots in their call for 100 bloggers to help spread the word...and to help raise $10,000 for Council for Art Education, a national nonprofit dedicated to promoting and supporting art education and quality art programs nationwide.  Pretty cool, to have a chance to create with fun products and help get products donated to help with Art Education too! 

I can't guarantee how many slots are left for the 100 bloggers to help with the 100 Days of Tombow, but I'll definitely submit the contact info for any blogger that is a follower and leaves a comment to let me know they are interested in participating in this event, by creating and blogging about Tombow's products.  As previously mention, SewCalGal has been a long time fan of Tombow and would love to see others have a chance to create with Tombow products too!









Print Friendly and PDF

25 comments:

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

I would love to participate, and I'm sure my 6 year old son would love the products as well! Fingers crossed that there's a slot open. :) Thanks for posting this!

Anonymous said...

I would love to be included in 100 days of tombow...my blog is mainly about quilting and home...but I also art journal... love using the few tombow markers I have. They are beautiful to create with...

Betty Warner said...

Hi, I would love to participate in 100 Days of Tombow. Have used a few markers, love them. Participation would be a great topic for my blog which I am 'restarting'.

Nina Marie said...

well of course you can count me in - i'm sure there is a way to work their products in with fiber art -- not to mention I'm all for Kid Art. I help start a Sports and Arts Camp at our church where I taught fine art lessons. The kids LOVED them!

Average Quilter said...

I would love to participate. I have been looking for some good markers. I have all kinds that I use now and haven't found any that really stand out.

Barb said...

I don't believe I have heard of these products, maybe you have blogged about them before and it has excaped my memory. I love your flowers, can you use them on fabrics?

Snoodles said...

Please count me in....I'd love to try out these products and spread the word. :)

Jocelyn said...

I would love to give this a try. Even though I do not consider myself artistic, I love the beauty art kindles in my heart. Making cards is another hobby of mine,and of course we are all doodling with machine quilting, which I totally believe is an art form.

GeeMa said...

I would love to participate. I'll have to check out Tombow on my next trip to the craft store. My granddaughter is always in need of markers to support her art work.

suemac said...

I think their pencils would be good for practicing my free motion on paper. Sounds like fun.

Sue Jacobs CZT said...

I love to use Tombow markers in my Zentangle art. I haven't tried the pencils yet but would love to do so. My blog is www.suejacobs.blogspot.com

Cynthia Stockdon said...

I would love to try out and blog about these!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

SewCalGal, if you like them then I'm sure I'll like them too. I'd be happy to help spread the word so children can have wonderful art supplies :)

Kelly

Ivory Spring said...

Oh my goodness! Miss Baby would absolutely love to create something with those... hmmm, I wonder if they would accept the works of a 4-year old? I am proud to say Miss B actually colors "inside the lines" most of the time. Does that count?

beaquilter said...

Count me in(do we get a sample to play with?) Gosh, I remember promoting Tombow mono adhesive when I worked for office depot, someone bought it to hem up their pants at the office as an emergency until they got home.... LOL

teachpany said...

I don't know if this is still open, but I would love to share my experience. I hadn't heard of this brand before, but as a teacher, I'm always looking for products and companies that support art education. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I just love this idea, my whole family is of a creative bent. My husband is an artist, I am an artist and so are my children, each of us in a different way. It would be fantastic to try out new products and see what we could create with it individually and as a family!

Janet said...

I'd love to participate. I love doing art work with my grandkids. No access to any craft stores in my neighbourhood of the world.

Unknown said...

Morning SewCalGal I would love to participate in this. I do lots of different avenues of art but mainly with Fabric but I have been known to stray here and there or more...lol

SewCalGal said...

Christina Flowers - your settings are what is referred to as a "No Reply Blogger".and you can't be contacted. If you see this comment, here is a link to a post that shares insights on how you can fix your Google Account settings: http://sewcalgal.blogspot.com/2011/12/wanted-quilters-that-never-win-in.html

SewCalGal

SewCalGal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KAM said...

I am totally unfamiliar with this product and would love to participate in the 100 days event....blogging and sharing with friends and children I know.
Kristin

Unknown said...

I would love to be a part of this and share the experience with my kids! I'm a professional nanny so I have kids of all ages! My email is hoppipollaquilts at gmail dot com.
What a wonderful thing for them to do!

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Now I know why my box came to your address! LOL
We were both doing the Tombow blogger challenge! Still waiting for mine to arrive, they claim it's on it's way!!

The supplies look great, can't wait to play with them.

Warmly,
Pink and Green Mama
MaryLea

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

I would love to participate if there are any more openings! I love doodling!