> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Having Fun With a Silhouette Cameo For Easter

SewCalGal has become a big fan of the Silhouette Cameo.  You may have seen a previous review that I shared, after I purchased this product at a Black Friday Sale.
silhouette
I've been having fun creating with my Silhouette Cameo, cutting fabric, paper, cardstock, and more recently Silhouette's new double sided adhesive media sheets.
silhouette adhesive

While this product is not intended for traditional quilting, I do see many ways to use it in mixed media projects.    I certainly had fun using this media to embellish inexpensive plastic Easter Eggs for gift baskets for family and friends.
P1010075b P1010076b

The Silhouette Double Sided Adhesive Paper is a strong permanent adhesive that can be cut using the Silhouette Cameo or Portrait, in an endless amount of shapes.  I was amazed at how well it worked for detailed fonts (e.g. "Wendy"), as well as the details on the chicks feet!

P1010077b
The adhesive is very tacky and does an excellent job holding glitter.  A q-tip is also a helpful tool to wipe off excess glitter that may temporarily stick to other areas of your project.



The Silhouette electronic cutter makes cutting a breeze.  They have oodles of designs available for purchase in their online store and every Tuesday they give one away for free.  You can also use their Designer Software to easily create your own design.

Once you have your shape cut on this double-sided adhesive media you simply remove the yellow top sheet, place the shape on your item (e.g. egg), tacky side down, then remove the white backing paper and you are left with a clear film of tacky media on your project which you can easily add glitter, embossing powder or other decorative items.  Easy, Peasy, and Fun!

I did find that my Famore Micro-fine tweezers, which I purchased at I Have A Notion, worked great to help  remove the paper and backing material from the thin tacky media of the double-sided adhesive sheets. These tweezers can pick up the finest thread and make it so much easier to grab the paper and backing sheets of this media too!



I definitely had fun creating with Silhouette's double-sided adhesive sheets on my Silhouette Cameo.  I'm looking forward to using this media to create greeting cards, bookmarks, Artist Trading Cards (ATCs) and more! While it isn't a product marketed to quilters, it is so lightweight that I also want to test it to see how well it works with fabric and the ability to wash out.  Hmmm.  Might be really handy for applique', binding and more.  Stay tuned, as I'll give you a report as I complete my test plans. In the meantime, I hope you get inspired to create with a Silhouette. I'm certainly having fun with it.   And, the new Silhouette Double-Sided Adhesive Sheets are certainly helping me decorate for Easter.  Super easy and fun!

Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments: