> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Does It Take A Village To Teach A Quilter?

First, I want to clarify why I labeled this post "Does It Take A Village To Teach A Quilter?".  In 1996, Hillary Clinton wrote a book called "It Takes A Village" which shared insights on the impact individuals and groups have on a child.  She has carried this perspective internationally, for situations where one country needs assistance and how other countries can help.  As our "world of quilting" offers us the ability to be influenced and learn from quilters all over the world, I think of us as being part of a very large village, where quilter help teach others all over the world...........But ultimately, we do all learn in a variety of ways, so I'm simply wanting to facilitate discussion on how you learn, as well as share with you an upcoming opportunity for learning and fun that I hope you'll participate in.

Most quilters learn through a variety of ways:  books, DVDs, taking classes, practice, reading blogs, quilting with friends, etc..  I'm no different, but while I love to learn from these sources, there are times when I just need to figure out how to do something and do it now!  And, I'm delighted when I can find an answer on the internet.  Even better when I find a great tutorial on a blog.  So, I ponder....Does It Take A Village To Teach A Quilter?  Probably so, with this quilter!

To my delight, I learned that Geta (Geta's Quilting Studio) is hosting a linky party, where participating blogs will be sharing insights on:

  • favorite tools
  • advice on color
  • tips on piecing
  • tutorials
  • insights on how to use Modern Quilting Tools (e.g. EQ7, AccuQuilt/Sizzix, Silhouette, EQStitch, etc.
  • and much, much more!
They'll be quilting blogs, from all over the world, that will be sharing their tips, tutorials, expertise!  And, SewCalGal will be participating and hope if you are a blogger you will join the fun too.  Simply visit Geta's blog for more info.

While I have been working on a page to index "my favorite tutorials" on the internet, I'd really like to hear your feedback on what type of  tutorials would you like to help you learn/improve your skills?  I'm not going to attempt to be an expert at anything, but I do think I'm good at researching and sharing insights.  So, your feedback is definitely appreciated.

Don't forget to mark your Calendar for Geta's linky party:

They'll also be some fun giveaways too!

Happy Quilting!

SewCalGal

Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

KaHolly said...

I like making small things, pouches and the like. Esp. when they are sewing related!

Missy Shay said...

I have a hard time trying to figure out yardage needed. My quilts always end up bigger than I expected. My last top, I had maybe 6 inches of material left over for my sashing! So math is my problem.

Anonymous said...

I would love a tutorial on using rulers. I know the basic stuff, but I feel like there's so much more to learn.

Wacky Woman said...

Different ways to do binding, both machine and hand finished.

Snoodles said...

I don't have a request, but a thank you! I appreciate the heads up...love Geta's work, and hope to participate! Hugs!