> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Free-Motion Quilting Videos on YouTube

YouTube offers a number of fun and entertaining videos, but I really value being able to search and find a variety of how to and/or inspirational videos for quilters on demand.

While, you don't need an account to view videos, having an account on YouTube will certainly provide you more features to make this tool more useful for you.  As such, this post will share a list of great sources for educational and inspiration Free-Motion Quilting videos on YouTube, along with some tips for using YouTube.
To create your own account on YouTube you simply click on the CreateAccount button and go thru a few simple steps.

YouTube account owners can not only search, but also subscribe to "channels" (those accounts that create & share videos).  Subscribing also makes it easier to find videos by the channels you subscribe to.  When you are logged in to your account, every video that you watch has a button above it that you can click to subscribe to that channel.  You can also see a list of all the channels you subscribe to, underneath your login ID.


You can create your own PlayList, like saving a website in your favorites.  Your playlists can have various subjects (e.g. Free-Motion Quilting, Applique', AccuQuilt, Machine Embroidery, etc.) and you can save your favorite videos in your playlists.  I find this faster than viewing videos, of a common topic, that are on a different number of "channels".

Having the videos you like grouped in "your" playlists allows you to easily access videos you are interested in, in topics that you define. 

For me, I have a long list of videos on Free-Motion Quilting.  While I'm still editing my playlist, here are some "channels" that have various videos on FMQ that you may want to check out:

Patsy Thompson has many excellent YouTube videos on FMQ.

Leah Day (Free-Motion Quilting Project) has one of the largest collections of wonderful FMQ tutorial videos on YouTube.


Quilting Arts with Susan Brubaker Knapp has a great video out on YouTube that shares a few free insights that have more detail and insights on her DVD.


Cindy Needham has several inspirational videos that were done with Superior Threads.







There are also a number of very talented longarm quilters that have FMQ videos on YouTube, some of which that you may want to check out are:

Nicole Webb (longarm)


Judy of Green Fairy Quilts (longarm quilting)



While you may want to create your own playlist for your favorite Free-Motion Quilting videos, or other topics, you can also view my Free-Motion Quilting PlayList on YouTube anytime.  Of course, I do want to clarify that while I subscribe to a variety of "channels" that offer FMQ videos, I'm continuing to add more FMQ videos to my playlist all the time.

I'm also hoping that more FMQ experts will create more FMQ videos, as I think there is still a need for more videos on the following topics:
- FMQ basics for beginners
- insights on placement and overall FMQ quilt design
- machine applique'
- threadplay & embellishment
- threads & needles
- inspiration.

Of course, many of these talented FMQ experts that have so generously provided free videos on YouTube also offer excellent DVDs for purchase at a very reasonable price too! 

So, do you use YouTube as a source of educational and inspirational information for your quilting, sewing & embroidery ?  Do you have any favorite FMQ videos on youtube that I don't yet have in my playlist?


9 comments:

Jean(ie) said...

it's my go-to place for learning new techniques!

Jocelyn said...

I think it's amazing what is available on youtube. So many great tutorials and inspiring sites. One could spend a LOT of time there ;-)

Lynn said...

I do use YouTube as a source of information and inspiration, but I've not created an account to subscribe to channels. I didn't really understand the benefits of doing that until reading this. So thank you! I'll be creating an account and starting my own playlist ASAP.

Snoodles said...

I have definitely used YouTube for finding videos on problems I've run up against...Y seams, etc. But I never thought about making a play list to refer to! Great idea!

Brita said...

Love YouTube! And thanks for sharing your list :-) Here's another you must add to yours: SharonSchamberNet -- that woman is so talented and shares so much. A good one for basic swirls and such is jgruberak . Enjoy!

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Thanks for the tip, I will create an account right away!

CaroleM said...

You Tube is usually my 1st place to go to when I'm trying to figure some technique out. Thanks for the tips on the FMQ videos!

Unknown said...

Great tips!

hugz

June D said...

I'm glad you added link to Leah Day's videos - I really connect with the way she presents things. Looking forward to learning from all the experts this year!