> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Monday, August 22, 2011

FabricTrends for Quilters


Summertime is a fun time to getaway.  You may have been able to take a long vacation, show getaway, or sneak a few hours of relaxing in your backyard or a park.  When I am able to enjoy such a getaway, I always enjoy taking with me a new quilting magazine.  This summer, I was able to take a copy of “Mark Lipinski’s Fabric Trends For Quilters”, Summer 2011 issue, with me on a little getaway. 

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this issue of Fabrictrends, particularly seeing insights on new fabric releases for 249+ fabrics.  Plus Mark shared his insights on what to expect for Fall ’11 fabrics.
I also enjoyed reading the designer profiles where each I learned about six designers and each shared there perspective on a variety of topics:
·         Ro Gregg on Friendship
·         Debbie Beaves on Perception
·         Stephanie Brandenburg on Fear
·         Diana Mancini on Talent
·         Carina Gardener on Growing UP
·         Jan DiCintio on Paying Your Dews


This issue includes 11 projects (free Patterns from Fabric Manufacturers) that come with complete instructions, fabric requirements, and great visuals:
  • Daisy Dazzle designed by Debbie Beaves with the Simple Pleasures fabric designed by Debbie Beaves for RJR Fabrics.


  • Madison designed by Pat Daniels using Madison fabric designed by Diana Mancini for Blank Quilting
  • Radiance designed by Judy Handson, designer of the radiance fabric line for Paintbrush Studio, a division of Fabri-Quilt.
  • Baby safari designed by Mark Lipinski for the Baby Safari fabric designed by Carina Gardner for Northcutt.

  • Bliss on blossom street designed by Pearl Louise Krush, designer of the Bliss on Blossom street fabric for Pearl Louise Designs.
  • Wild Goose Chase designed by Kathleen Starr, co-owner of Starr Design Fabrics, Inc.
  • Daydreams II designed by G’yleen Fitzgerald, showcasing fabric designed by Stephanie Brandenburg for Camelot Cottons. 

  • Shades of grey designed by Myra Harder with Shades of Grey fabric designed by Jan DiCintio for Daisy Janie fabrics.  
  • Catkin designed by Jason Yenter, with Catkin fabric designed by Julie Pashkis for the In The Beginning Fabrics.
  • Papillon designed by Cathy Anderson and Sue Goth of Quilt Basket Machine, quilted by Debbie Brown, with Papillon fabric designed by Jessica Gonacha Swift for Red Rooster fabrics. 
  • Hope’s promise designed by Cate Tallman-Evans, with Hope’s Promise fabric designed by Danhui Nai for Wilmington Prints.
There is a nice article about quilted note cards where Mark shares insights on his sister Jane Guthrie, who is editor of Scrapbooking & Beyond and Paper Creations magazines, sister publications to Fabric Trends.  Instructions for one of Jane’s note cards can be found for free at www.fabrictrends.com.  For instructions to make all of Jane’s note card designs, pick up a copy of the Summer 2011 issue of Paper Creations, on newsstands now.  SewCalGal is now on the hunt to pick up a copy of this issue of Paper Creations, as these cards are so cute.
There were also several other short articles on a variety of topics.  Overall, I enjoyed reading this magazine, on my getaway trip, and definitely will be pulling it out for reference again.  I’m definitely looking forward to making quilts with the patterns included in this issue, as well as eager to play with the quilted note cards too.  Given my goal to be able to recognize fabric manufacturers and designers by their products, this is also an excellent tool to help me build those skills!
If you haven’t already had a chance to check out this magazine, I hope you get a chance soon.  Summer will slip away before we know it, and everyone deserves a summertime getaway, even if it is a few hours relaxing and reading a good quilting magazine.

I’m already looking forward to the next issue of FabricTrends.  Great job Mark!







8 comments:

Miss Hillbilly said...

I used to get a fabric trend magazine and I used to get his other magazine. It was the last subscription that I just kept hanging onto but finally had to let go of for now anyway. But he does a great job!

Melissa ;-) said...

I have to say I have never heard of this mag. Thanks for the intro!

paulette said...

I will have to look for this magazine in the stores!! Looks great...thanks for sharing!
Paulette

Linda said...

Thanks for the review! My local source of magazines has quite carrying that magazine. I think I may have to subscribe!

suemac said...

I have some Geo Grand by Daisy Jane. Still haven't figured out what pattern to use. I like her shades of gray but have not bought any yet.

Ivory Spring said...

It is a nice magazine with different takes on things. I think I might have a couple of projects featured in the next issue.

Wacky Woman said...

I wonder if I can get that subscription on my Kindle? Thanks for sharing.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Great review!

Smiles,
Kelly