> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Simple Graces: Charming Quilts and Companion Projects, by Kim Diehl

First, I want to say congratulations to Kim Diehl, a nominee for the 2011 Golden Quilter Awards.  Kim continues to give back to our wonderful world of quilting in so many ways.  Her recent contribution is  the publication of her new book "Simple Graces: Charming Quilts and Companion Projects",  published by Martingale & Company, home of That Patchwork Place.
Simple Graces stands out as quilt book full of inspiration, and fun designs perfect to decorate your home as well as to make items for gifts, of which many will surely become heirlooms.
There are designs for 8 quilts using pieced and some applique, plus companion projects for items such as a pillowcase, lampshade, etc. .  Overall, there are 20 fun projects in this book  for quilters of all skill levels and interests, from beginner to advanced quilter. 

Project sizes range 4 1/2" diameter to 66 1/2x 86 1/2".

All the designs have easy to follow instructions with great visuals.  And this book is packed full of tips (e.g. cutting tips, machine piecing, pinning, pressing, applique', etc.).  I really loved the section on Quiltmaking principles. 
Of course, Kim did a great job selecting fabrics and colors for the projects in this book, and the photography is excellent.  Hmm.  I'm definitely going to enjoy reading this book again and again, with a nice cup of tea.  And certainly think that it will be fun to create quilts and various projects with designs and tips that Kim shares in this delightful book.


I hope you get a chance to check this book out at your local quilt store.  You can also check it at Martingale & Company's online store.

14 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Love the lampshade. Really like that.

Sunnybec said...

I like the table runner.

JudyCinNC said...

I love any book by Kim Diehl. I will be looking for it. Judy C

Me and My Stitches said...

Kim's projects are always wonderful - it's just hard to choose which one to make first!

Vicki B said...

WOW! That book is lovely! The tablerunner and coasters are tugging at my "must have". This is my first time hearing her name so that you. I will add the book to my list.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Ok, how did you get to review that one? Somehow I missed it and it is beautiful...I love those patterns.

Smiles,
Kelly

suemac said...

Nice pictures. Her patterns look a little intimidating. One for the future for me.

paulette said...

This looks like a 'must have' book!! Loved ALL the projects! Thanks for sharing!
Paulette

Yankee Valley Stitcher said...

I have all of Kims books!! She is an amazing quilter and a real inspiration.....I have many of her projects on the go or finished. I am currently working on the "Welcome Wagon Quilt" from her Simple Graces Book. Its a great project for cleaning up the stash!!

Wonky Girl said...

Sew glad you shared this book. I have all but one of Kim's books, love her patterns and colorways. We live in SE AZ and Kim's quilts remind me so much of our desert colors.

Joanna said...

I love the cover quilt with the matching pillow cases. It's a nice idea to carry the quilt theme through to other objects. Makes perfect sense. Sounds like another good quilt book.

WoolenSails said...

I love her work and love what I see in this new book.
That one is going to be tempting;)

Debbie

Quilt n Queen said...

Kim is a fabulous designer...and it looks like she has done it again....luv her color choices as always. I will have to add 'Simple Graces' to my quilting library...luv all her books....thanks for sharing.

Wacky Woman said...

Looks like a great book.