> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Monday, January 10, 2011

Fancy to Frugal

I do love to check out new quilting books.  I'm one that likes to glance at the photos, to see if they inspire me, and then read the book cover to cover.  I had a wonderful afternoon today,  as I enjoyed some hot tea and was able to cuddle up to read a new book.  As such, I want to share insights with you on "Fancy to Frugal, Authentic Quilt Patterns from the '30s", by Kay Connors and Karen Earlywine, published by Martingale & Company, Home of That Patchwork Place.  It is a follow-up book to the very popular Link to the ’30s.


At an initial glance, "Fancy to Frugal" brought back childhood memories of my grandmother's beautiful quilts.  I enjoyed seeing newspaper clippings showing insights on how quilters would learn about new patterns. Insights were also included on the Great Depression, a period we now refer to as the 30's, that help everyone to get a glimpse on what life was like in this period of time, giving you a sense of what it would be like to make a quilt in the 30's. 

The ten patterns in this book are all well written, with easy to follow instructions and great visuals. The photos of the finished quilts are beautiful.  Project sizes are all good size, ranging ~ 74 1/2"x74 1/2" to  88"x102 1/2".  But I believe it would be easy to adapt these patterns to wallhangings or table toppers if you wanted to deviate from traditional sizes to create smaller projects. 

The majority of these patterns are pieced, but a few have hand applique.  All come with hand-quilting designs to help you finish quilting it in a manner to show off these beautiful designs, and stay true to the period.

A chapter is also included on "Quiltmaking Basics" which provides insights to help with fabric selection and sewing supplies.  Helpful insights are also provided for rotary cutting, machine piecing (including set-n pieces and Y seams, as well as curved seams) and chain piecing.  Information is also included for hand piecing, pressing, basic applique on thru how to assemble your quilt top and finish it.

My overall impression is this is a lovely quilt book that I view is a must have for any quilter interested in making quilts of this period, and it would also be a fun quilt book for those that have special quilty memories from this period of time, and may want to re-capture those memories by simply enjoying having this book.  

This new book should be available in your local quilt store and I hope you will check it out when you have a chance.  If you wish to order on-line, you can also order directly from Martingale & Company.

http://www.martingale-pub.com/

7 comments:

Barb said...

You are right, those are wonderful quilts and does remind me of my grandmothers quilts. Thanks for the book review.

Jocelyn said...

Wow what great quilts. There are so many beautiful new quilting books being published! I've still got books that I have yet to make one quilt!!!

WoolenSails said...

I love how they are bring back the older books and ebooks now. I love the dresdan plate, something I want to do someday.

Debbie

Joanna said...

My favorite quilts are the classic variety, so I'm sure I will love this book.

Alycia said...

Those are wonderful quilts - thank you for sharing and telling us about this book!

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Thanks so much for sharing - it looks like a wonderful book to go with my Link to the 30's!!!

Katrina said...

I've been looking at that book for a while ~ I do LOVE 30's fabrics!