> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Finding Beauty

D



september - of Machine Quilting Unlimited 


two quilts that are in the IQA show in Houston

sold my first quilt for $7,800.00

November before my studio/gallery is open in Santa Fe. 
tiny adobe house on the main drag.


Jennifer Day, ASID - Art Quilts
1129 Paseo de Peralta
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
505-955-1918

The reason that I am including ASID is that I have been an ASID (American Society of Interior Designers) designer for 35 years – the life before quilting.  By putting this on my sign on the main street around the Santa Fe Plaza, I will pick up clients who are visiting from out of town and building a second home.

1.                  My husband bought me a sewing machine for Christmas two and a half years ago.  I had visited a quilt store with a friend and felt bombarded by the colors and fabric.  Because of my design background, I wanted to experiment with this new idea.  I began my first project by looking thru my photographs for inspiration.  I found a flower and learned about EQ Printables.  I printed the image on fabric and began to cover the flower with thread.  A new technique was born.  I won first place in my category in my first quilt show.  Ten months later I had a quilt in a special exhibit at the IQA show in Houston – 2010.

      3    My goal is to teach thru my studio in Santa Fe.  I would like to offer a week-long class once a month.  I have taught classes in Kona Hawaii and will be teaching two at the Embroidery Guild of America’s National Convention in late October of this year.  At age 57, I have a 9 year-old boy!  Yes, he showed up when I was 48 as a surprise.  I have been married to the same man for 34 years.  My husband has agreed to allow me to travel to teach quilt classes around the country.  He and the boy will go to Disneyland!  I will need to be a bit careful to make sure that the fees associated with these out of town classes are similar to the fee that I will charge in Santa Fe.

4.      My inspiration for my quilts is totally based on my photographs.  I enjoy environmental photography.  That is photographing people as they live.  I want my quilts to show captured moments of life.  I really enjoy older people since there is a story to tell in their faces.

5.      My technique is thread painting. I have adopted the term Thread Stories to describe my technique since my quilts tell a story thru their images.  I cover the main image 100% in thread.  In a person’s face there may be as many as 40 threads used to get the texture and tone just right.  The balance of the quilt is covered in free motion embroidery.

6.      I do all of the work on my quilts, thread painting and free motion embroidery.  One of my trademarks is that my free motion embroidery is very intense.  There is no more than ¼ “ or less between threads.  I use a domestic machine and a sit down long arm.  I have a stand up long arm that I have bee circling because I am intimidated.   Give me another year and I will have mastered it!!


 I am an ASID Interior Designer, photographer and goldsmith. Now I have added Art Quilting to my repertoire. 

Jennifer Day
www.jdaydesign.com
http://jdaydesign.blogspot.com/
Print Friendly and PDF

1129 Paseo de Peralta Santa Fe, NM 87501 505.660.8656 jennifer@jdaydesign.com

No comments: