> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas Jars of Giving

An article by Laura Lewis, published in a recent e:newsletter, from Scrap Girls caught my attention and I wanted to share it with you.  They kindly granted me permission to share it with you today. 

For me, this article captures the spirit of a giving heart that touches the lives of many.  I was definitely inspired by it, and hope yu are too!

100 Jars of Love
  by Laura Lewis

My mom loved to read and to serve others. She combined these two joys, and the result has touched the lives of over 100 families across the country. It started when she read the book Christmas Jars by Jason F. Wright. She immediately decided to start her own Christmas Jar and faithfully deposited her change each day. Two jars were filled and, as per the Christmas Jar tradition, those jars were delivered anonymously to families in need. The next year she filled more jars and enlisted her family in starting their own jars.

In 2009, just before Thanksgiving, she was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer. She had no risk factors, but instead of asking "Why me?," she maintained her happy attitude and looked for ways to serve others. At this time, she already had two jars filled, but she wasn't content with that. As family and friends asked what they could do to help, instead of bringing food to her, she asked that they start Christmas Jars. She even provided empty jars to get them started. We posted information on her CaringBridge.org site (listed under PatsyShipp) where others across the country and around the world went for updates. She asked everyone she talked to if they would start their own Christmas Jar.

I designed a label to be downloaded and placed on a jar. One day, my dad called and told me to come quickly. When I arrived, my mom was sobbing uncontrollably. When I asked if she was okay, she showed me a note she had received with a check for $100 to "help fill a Christmas Jar." This happened day after day as word of her love of Christmas Jars spread. It was simply the power of one woman, touching lives which resulted in making a difference in the lives of others.
Christmas Jars
In mid-December, we personally delivered her four jars. She was so excited to know over 25 Christmas Jars were filled in just one month, instead of the usual year, in her honor, and that those jars would be delivered to those in need.

But she wasn't done yet! The first of January, she decided that she wanted everyone to start Christmas Jars for 2010! She gave labels or jars to family that visited from out of town, friends, hospice workers, and everyone she saw. By January, she knew her time was drawing short but wanted the Christmas Jar tradition to continue. We had exhausted our supply of jars, so we needed to order more jars. When they arrived, a few days before she died, her family tied ribbons on 72 jars.
Mother of Laura Lewis
You see, her final request was that we would have Christmas Jars for those at her funeral to take home and start filling for 2010. All 72 jars, plus many more labels, were put in the hands of family, friends, doctors, nurses, and all those whose lives she touched. At the end of 2010, over 100 jars were delivered across the country with the simple label, "Christmas Jar."

This tradition lives on, and this year, even more jars have been added and more hearts touched.
- Laura Lewis



Again, this article definitely inspired me.  I wish I had had a chance to have met Laura's mother, Patsy Shipp.  But, I feel her spirit will carry on. I certainly want to pursue the tradition of filling "Christmas Jars" and giving to those in need.  I've almost filled my first jar and believe it will be ready to give, to someone in need, by Christmas Day.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a lovely touching story.xx

Quilt Kitty said...

Wow, a wonderful legacy & one the family no doubt gets comfort from too. Thanks for sharing. Tracee xx

Anonymous said...

My Christmas jar is going out this Christmas eve It is a wonderful experience and thanks for sharing this story with your readers==love lives on..

Merry Christmas
Christina

SewDownunder said...

What a lovely story, thanks for sharing!

Pat said...

Oh, my...I think you need to add a warning for folks to get some tissues nearby when they read that story. What a special lady.....and she lives on through those Christmas jars!!!

Michele said...

How inspiring!

Jean(ie) said...

Now I know what to do with the laundry change I've been collecting all year in my "Big Boy" piggy bank. Thanks so much for the idea!

pcflamingo said...

What a wonderful way to "pay it forward" and remember someone so very special.

paulette said...

Wow!! What a remarkable and giving woman!! AND what a great idea...this is something we can all do! thanks for sharing the idea! Great post!
P

Miss Hillbilly said...

What a sweet story!

Dee said...

Wow!

Josie McRazie said...

beautiful...

Jocelyn said...

This is so touching. And again is proves the Power of One. One person can make a difference. We aught never to forget that. Thanks for sharing.

Snoodles said...

Now I know what I was saving those quart mason jars for....I always feel they are too big for canning veggies...the pints work better for me. What a beautiful post - thank you SewCalGal!

Mom C said...

Our family has done Secret Santa and 12 Days of Christmas for many years. Than I read Christmas Jars too and started doing the jars. This year we have 6. Very special story, Wonderful tradition.

Laura said...

Thank you to all for adding to our Christmas Jar tradition. I know my Mom is smiling down on all of us as we sneak around delivering Christmas Jars! Our goal this year was to have over 100 delivered and with all of your help and the rest of the scrapbooking world we will exceed that goal. You can download a label at PatsyShipp.com. Thank you for helping me spread my Mom's love of others, Laura

Barb said...

What a special story and person. I loved this....

Sharon said...

My husband and I read that book a couple of years ago and we started our own Christmas Jars to give to someone in need. We usually end up with two quart jars full of change to give away anonymously at the end of November each year. It truly is a blessing to give.

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Wow! Now that just made my day...I think I will start a jar next year.
Pat

Unknown said...

Beautiful story! Thanks for sharing.

Barbara said...

What a lovely story. Thank you for sharing.

Thearica said...

Such a beautiful legacy to leave behind! Thanks so much for posting this story!

suemac said...

That is a great idea. A lot of people benefited from her crusade.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea, and a wonderful tradition to start!

Cheryl Lynch Quilts said...

What an empowering story. It will be one of my goals for 2012.