> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Fiskars Titanium Rotary Cutters

Fiskars has a variety of rotary cutters, but today I want to share insights on their models that come with a Titanium blade.  These rotary blades are available in 45 mm and 60 mm sizes and are three times harder than steel for improve durability and lasting sharpness. 

I've  been using the Titanium Softgrip Comfort Loop Rotary Cutter for quite some time.  And, I've intentionally tried to abuse it by cutting a lot of quilting fabric, vinyl, paper, etc.  It still cuts beautifully, better than a very sharp hot knife thru butter!   It is a product that exceeds my expectations!


The Titanium Softgrip Comfort Loop Rotary Cutter is available in a 45mm or 60mm size.
Key Features of these cutters are:
  • Ideal for cutting multiple layers of fabric, paper, felt and vinyl
  • Rotary blade can be assembled to either side of the rotary cutter, providing optimal blade visibility for both right- and left-handed users
  • Precision-ground 45 mm  (or get the 60 mm size) rotary blade features a titanium coating that is three times harder than steel for improved durability and lasting sharpness
  • Softgrip® handle offers added comfort and reduced hand fatigue
  • Curved, loop-handle design provides a natural fit for your hand, improves control and lets you keep the cutter in hand while you rearrange materials
  • Sliding button extends blade during use, locks it into position and retracts it for safe storage
  • Blades snap in or out easily for quick replacement
  • Cutter also works with non-titanium blades
  • Lifetime warranty


Fiskars also has a Titanium Comfort Stick Rotary Cutter that features a 45 mm blade with a titanium coating. It also includes an ergonomically sculpted, Softgrip® handle to fit your hand more comfortably than other stick rotary cutters. A symmetrical design provides comfortable use and control for right- or left-handed users, and a sliding button extends a blade guard for safety when not in use.
Key Features of this cutter is:
  • Ideal for cutting multiple layers of fabric, paper, felt and vinyl
  • Precision-ground 45 mm rotary blade features a titanium coating that is three times harder than steel for improved durability and lasting sharpness
  • Ergonomically sculpted handle with Softgrip® provides added comfort
  • A symmetrical design makes freehand cutting easy for right- and left-handed users
  • Sliding button extends blade guard when not in use
  • Blades snap in or out easily for quick replacement
  • Cutter also works with non-titanium blades
  • Lifetime warranty

Fiskars sells Titanium Rotary Blade Replacements (45mm or 60mm) that respectively fits most 45mm or 60mm rotary cutters on the market today.  And, they are available at a pretty reasonable price too.

SewCalGal highly recommends using Titanium rotary blades and believes you'll be very happy using any of the Fiskar Titanium Rotary cutters and blades.  I've seen a better ROI with the Titanium rotary blades and definitely enjoy the ease of cutting with the Fiskars Titanium Softgrip Comfort Loop Rotary Cutter.  Check them out at your local quilt store, or JoAnns, and I think you too will be pleasantly surprised.

There isn't really any recommended maintenance for these cutters, but I do want to share my tip for rotary cutter maintenance:    Remember to periodically clean your rotary cutter to remove threads or lint build, up that may slow down the rotation of the blade.  You may also want to add a drop of sewing machine oil on the blade, near the screw, after you've cleaned it.  This simple step helps to keep your rotary cutter  blade turning smoothly and effortlessly.



http://www2.fiskars.com

13 comments:

Barb said...

Clean it....what you talking about???? I just looked at mine yesterday and it is an ugly mess in there.

Jean(ie) said...

LOL @ Barb... I may need to look into those cutters. Good tools are essential. And when you're working with cutting tools, you need to get the best!

Thanks Sew Cal Gal!

Anonymous said...

Wow...I think I did see them. I might have to pick up a package. I think that blades are BOGO next circular at JoAnns!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

LOL Barb - me too, I don't think I have ever cleaned mine - your supposed to do that! I didn't know :)
Karen

Jocelyn said...

Wow Darlene, I've got to look for this. What a great tool! Thanks for sharing.

Staci said...

So glad you did this review. I was looking at titanium blades last week wondering if it was just a gimmicky thing or if it was actually worth the money.

Wacky Woman said...

I think I NEED this tool.

Dana Gaffney said...

I'm going to check these out. I'm with Barb, mine gets cleaned when I change the blade.

sewfunquilts said...

I need a more ergonomically designed cutter, and thanks for the review of this one....and the blades. I'll be checking them out.

Bonnie said...

Love my current handles but I really would like to try the titanium blades. Now to see if my local JoAnns carries them... with a coupon ... could be well worth it. And, mention it to Santa Claus as a great stocking stuffer.... Christmas is coming...

Snoodles said...

Wow, this sounds great! I sure could use this in the winter when my hands get to aching. Thanks for a insightful review of a super tool....I think I better put it on my wish list!

Quiltingranny said...

I hope Santa puts one of these in my stocking!

Saska said...

I want one of these!