> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Monday, July 11, 2011

Designer Challenge: Part 1 & Part 2

How good are you at recognizing designer patterns, styles, fabrics, and works by famous people, etc? If you have been a follower of my blog, for awhile, you probably know I've been trying to build my skills in being able to recognize designers by their work (and ultimately the work of their students).
In part one of  Designer Challenge posts, I share photos of quilts made by the designer that I'm showcasing in this challenge. The challenge is to see if you can look at the collection of photos I'm sharing and correctly guess who the designer is.


The first person to correctly guess the designer of this quilt will be recognized in part two of this post, as well as be recognized on Designer Challenge Page of my blog.

This post will be updated (aka Part 2), once someone has correctly guessed who the designer is. If, no one correctly guesses the designer, within a reasonable time, I will add more clues, with the goal of closing this challenge within 24 hours of this post.

Another clue, this designer was a nominee for the Golden Quilter Awards in 2010 and 2011


PART II - coming as soon as someone correctly guesses the designer, based on insights in Part I.

Who Guessed it: Kd Brown (Kd Quilts)

Who is this designer: Carrie Nelson of Miss Rosie's Quilt Company


Carrie Nelson is the talented designer who creates lovely quilt designs, inspirational books and even has beautiful line of fabric too.  I love all her designs, but definitely looking forward to making "Brocante".

She has written many books and articles, of which her recently publications include:

And, to my delight, Carrie is working on a new book to be released September 2011:

I've enjoyed making quilts using Carrie's patterns and books.  Instructions are always well written and easy to follow.  I'm certainly looking forward to her new book release this Fall, as well as seeing new designs that she'll release at Fall Quilt Market. 

Do you have a favorite pattern from Miss Rosie's Quilt Company.


http://missrosiesquiltco.com/
http://lavieenrosie.typepad.com
Follow Carrie on Facebook

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't get the picture big enough for me to see the details in the prints to help me!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Old prints, blues, paisleys and heritage blocks - Barbara Brackman?

Unknown said...

Judie Rothermel has the same feel.

Kd Brown said...

I love these guessing games! I guess Carrie Nelson off the top of my head. This is such fun! ~Kathleen
www.KdQuilts.com

Dana Gaffney said...

I'm going to guess Anne Sutton.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This looks likes Lori Holts 'Cherry' fabric - is it Lori?

Sinta Renee said...

I guess I am a little slow! Carrie is a wonderful designer! My favorite out of the gazillion patterns I have made by her??? Due North. It's not one of her fabulous Schnibbles patterns but it's a great full size Flying Geese quilt.
What makes her patterns so special? To me, reading her pattern is like having a friend right there sewing with you. The bonus is that her patterns are unique and the design continues all the way through the border of the quilt.

Unknown said...

I love Hot Cross buns, I did a version in Aster Manor and just loved it!
I was looking at the fabrics so no wonder I couldn't guess!

Jocelyn said...

I love Carrie's patterns. And the books have been an added stretch. Thanks for showcasing her work. My favorite Schnibbles pattern is Madeline, and regular pattern is Elizabeth.

Rosa said...

I can`t recognize who`s the designer.

suemac said...

I have the Spice of Life book and have picked out a few things I want to make. She is very talented.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I made 'X-Rated' for my niece. It went from 31" square to a full sized quilt. It was fun to make, and my niece loves it.