> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Friday, May 27, 2011

PatternSpot Downloadable Pattern Marketplace


CT Publishing has launched a new site called PatternSpot, where designers can can upload their designs, in PDF format, and quilting and sewing enthusiasts can shop from home, at their leisure with 24/7 online access to patterns you can easily download.  There are even free patterns and the list of designers that belong to PatternSpot is growing, along with the selection of designs.

Designers can create free accounts to upload and sell their patterns in PDF format and retain the ability to sell their patterns elsewhere. They set the price for their patterns, upload a single cover image, and text that will appear on the PatternSpot website. There is a one time fee of $.50 to list each pattern for sale on PatternSpot and PatternSpot will retain 45% of the sale of each pattern. Visit the PatternSpot site for more information.
There is a large list of Designers that have uploaded designs to PatternSpot. Some that caught my attention are: Becky Goldsmith, Chatterbox Quilts, Margaret Bucklew, Emily Cier, Geta, Sis Boom, Laura Wasilowski, and more.
Patterns are organized in groups for quilting, sewing, and garment patterns and it is pretty easy to navigate Pattern Spot in a variety of ways.
The site is new and they are still working on a few minor issues.  I found that some pattern images do not load in a timely manner, or will not load at all.  You also have to scroll down the page to see all the designs on that page, but then you have to scroll back up to get to the next page.  It also appears to allow the designer to upload one photo per design, which isn't always a great way to inspire a customer to buy.  E.G. should designers upload an image of the pattern, the completed project, etc.  My preference would be to have the ability to have 3-5 photos per design uploaded, with a minimum of one photo per design. And, when you sort thru the list of patterns some patterns appear on every page, which becomes a bit annoying.
I have not seen any actual patterns from this site, but it does not appear that PatternSpot requires any pre-testing, thus when you purchase the integrity of the pattern is based on the reputation of the Designer. 
PatternSpot has a lot of potential, with the ability of helping designers promote awareness of their patterns, as well as making it easy for customers to shop and buy patterns.  I'm excited about PatternSpot and hope you'll check it out too. 
There are several cute designs and more being added all the time.  Here are a few that caught my attention:
Fancy Feathered Star, by Annis Clapp
Diamond Bouquet, by Chasing Cottons
Triangle Quilt, by Geta

My overall impressions, is that PatternSpot is going to be a great place for Designers to sell patterns and Quilters to shop.  The kinks in a new online store are being worked out and I'm sure the team working on PatternSpot will get them resolved very soon.  While you may wonder why I'm sharing this with you now, I want to share that I think this site is one that is worthy of having on your radar, and for Designers to sign up soon.


Information on common FAQ on PatternSpot can be found at their site.

6 comments:

Brita said...

Ooh, interesting! Like I need to find more patterns. I don't have any in those bazillion books I've bought. Or in the stack of patterns. No. I really need to go to PatternSpot.com !

Maria said...

Thank you for the link.
Will pop over for a visit.

Miss Hillbilly said...

Oh, thank you. I am considering starting to design and this will be so helpful!

Barb said...

Wow...thi sis great information!! Thanks!

Jean said...

thanks for the link! Will check it out!

Barb Edmondson said...

Thank you for this information. I've started an account there. I sell several patterns I designed, this will be another outlet for my sales!