> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Monday, May 2, 2011

Can you guess this designer ? Part 1 & Part 2

How good are you at recognizing designer patterns, styles, fabrics, works by famous people, etc? If you have been a follower of my blog, you should know I've been trying to build my skills in being able to recognize designers by their work (and ultimately the work of their students).  

Are you interested in building your skills in this area too?  Do you think you recognize who created this the design of the items shown in this post?  Or is this going to be a challenge that stumps you? 


This is part one of this post.  It is a challenge to see if you can guess the creator of this item, based on one or more photos of the designers work  The first person to correctly guess the designer will be recognized in part two of this post, as well as be recognized on  http://sewcalgal.blogspot.com/p/designer-challenge.html

If no one can accurately guess the designer by 5pm PST today, I will add more clues.  If no one is able to guess within 24 hours, I will update to reflect who the designer is and that this challenge stumped everyone.   So, I hope you'll  play along and have fun in the process. 

To clarify, I will also share more insights about this designer once they have correctly been guested or if this challengee stumps everyone in a 24 hour period.

note: If there is a discrepancy on designers, that may have similar styles, SewCalGal will be the ultimate judge to determine the winner. And, in most cases, the photo of the quilt shown in this post will also be posted on the designers site.


PART II

Who Guessed it: Pamela Davis of Creative Dawnz Dolz

Who is this designer:  Karen Brow's Java House Quilts

About this designer:

Karen Brow, of Java House Quilts, has a whimsical style with many of her delightful designs having playful animals.  Thus, I picked the photo of her cute "Tableworks for Fall" tablerunner pattern, to see if I could stump everyone.  I was impressed that Pamela Davis instantly recognized Karen Brow's designs.  Pamela certainly knows her designers!
Did you know Karen just released her new pattern "Muchas Poochas"?  This design just makes me want to smile.
I also love her new design "We Bearly Made It".

Her "Reader Keepers" is also a new pattern that I love.  Looks like a perfect case for e:readers or special books.  Definitely would make an excellent gift too. 
And she has many more wonderful patterns on her site and also accepts wholesale orders too.  Just let your local quilt shop know you'd like them to carry patterns from Java House Quilts, if you do not find them.


Karen is a talented designer that has been sewing since she was about 14 years old.  She graduated from Michigan State University and worked as a Graphics Designer and Cartoon Illustrator before she began focusing her energies on design beautiful whimsical quilt designs.

Karen is also an excellent teacher and presentor.  She is currently scheduling presentations and workshops in 2012.  If you would like to have her come to your quilt guild, or your local quilt shop, please feel free to have the appropriate party contact Karen directly to schedule.

Java House Quilts
2412 Majano Pl.,
Carlsbad CA 92009
760-634-5471
http://www.javahousequilts.com/
click here to email Karen

16 comments:

Jen said...

Kay Mackenzie?

Anonymous said...

What a fun challenge! I have no clue, but it's pretty darn cute!

Anonymous said...

Such a fun challenge. I was thinking of Sandra Leichner.

Mary Ann said...

I'm thinking Debbie Mumm?

Lee said...

Fun - I think this is Kay McKenzie - her teapots to applique are beautiful!

Unknown said...

It looks Karen Brows Java House ...love their patterns


hugz
Pam

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Kay McKenzie would be my guess, too.

Mary said...

It looks like a Mary Engelbright pattern but the fabrics don't look like her colors. If it's JUST the pattern and the designer didn't make that, I'll guess Mary Engelbright!

Deb G. in VA said...

I think it's Kay McKenzie's pattern. Love her patterns!

Ivory Spring said...

I have no idea - but I do love that teapot. :)

SewLindaAnn said...

Has to be Kay Mackenzie! I have both her books on my wish list!

Kathy H said...

I am thinking it is Pat SLoan, although the colors are different from what I think of for her.

Yumm yumz by patticakes said...

I'm thinking Sandra Leichner too! Reminds me of her beautiful applique design "Tea with Miss D."

suemac said...

I saw her "Muchas Puchas" made up at my LQS. It is so cute.

Dana Gaffney said...

I got here too late, but I wouldn't have known the answer anyway. Funny, because I've been wanting to do that dog quilt for months now, one for me and one for my vets office.

Ivory Spring said...

Her designs are gorgeous!