> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Friday, April 8, 2011

AccuQuilt Laptop Sleeve & tutorial

I had fun making this very easy & fast laptop sleeve for my computer.  I wanted something to help keep it clean and protected it from scratches, inside of my backpack.  I also wanted to play with the AccuQuilt GO! Applecore die, but you could easily make this laptop sleeve with whole cloth, pre-printed panels, quilt block scraps, applique', machine embroidery, etc..

I used a bunch of scraps to quickly cut the applecores with the GO! and sew this tiny quilt top:

And then I quickly cut this little quilt top, used some fusible fleece and velcro to make the laptop sleeve.

I just wish I had taken time to do a bit of free-motion quilting on it, but for a laptop sleeve I don't think it is critical, especially given it uses fusible fleece.
While this could easily be made without an AccuQuilt GO! I love the ease that the GO! gave me to cut scraps and use them to make this laptop sleeve with a quilty look. 

I don't think I'm that great at writing tutorials, but I did decide to take time to capture what I did, and share insights on how you could adapt this to a variety of sizes of laptops and netbooks.  If you do have feedback on the tutorial, please email me, and I'll gladly update it to help make it easier to follow.


17 comments:

Ivory Spring said...

This looks great. You said you aren't good at writing tutorials, but you did it anyway... it shows you care.

Mary Ann said...

This is a nice, simple way to create a quick cover. Fusible batting is a nice idea - I suppose it might have gummed up your needle if you had chosen to free motion over it? Maybe it was best not to? If I were in a pinch for a present, I would choose one like this. I recently ordered the tumbling blocks baby quilt pattern (free) from Accuquilt. Perhaps a tumbling blocks pattern would work nicely for this, too. I've been looking for a way to use scraps - thank you! I think you did a very nice job with your tute!! Here is a tutorial of "quilt as you go technique" I have on my blog that I would like to share with you:
http://rocknquilts.blogspot.com/2011/04/eleanor-burns-machine-quilted-finish_07.html

Katrina said...

Great idea!! Now I think I might have to get the apple core die!

matate10 said...

Great tut for using scraps and making laptop cover. I'd like to address your use of the phrase of "cheater panel" though. I've noted that we quilters throw this phrase around knowing full well what it means, but then being the humble quilters that we all are, we then say to the recipient of said "cheater" quilt. "Oh, it's just a cheater quilt." Thus diminishing the gift in the mind of the recipient, who is wondering why they are getting something that in someway they are cheated. Just one of my pet peeves, and I thought this was a good platform to crow about it. Let's just say "panel quilt" and leave off the cheating part. Thanks.

paulette said...

Great idea!! Love it!!
Paulette

Cindy said...

You can a tutorial anytime, Darlene.
Perfect idea for a laptop sleeve!!

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

That is very cute. Love how you used the applecore die for it.
~Kimberlee
{$15 Amazon GC Giveaway} 

WoolenSails said...

I love how that came out and a nice idea for our laptops.
Maybe I can try one for my daughter, she got a new one last week.

Debbie

Sparky said...

now heaven only knows why I did not think of this....ok, on my list, make pocket pouches for my dies. fab idea

suemac said...

So cute. I need something for my macbook.

Joanna said...

I got the idea clearly enough, so I think your tutorial works. It's a very pretty laptop cover.

Lynn W. said...

Very cute and easy to do with the GO. My laptop is old, large and heavy. Consequently it seldom goes anywhere. I think you explained how you made it just fine. So plan some more tutorials, ok?

Marlene @ KISSed Quilts . com said...

I need to make one of these....you're inspiring me to get back at it! :-)

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Looks great! Plus, it could be adapted to fit any size electronic device that needs a little protection.

Barb said...

I just love it, looks wonderful!!

Talin's Corner said...

Your laptop cover/sleeve looks great.

Linda said...

I love this and you can use this for any electronic or non-electronic device. I've looked at the apple core a few times and just didn't think I would use it too much. Gonna have to rethink that one.