> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Friday, March 11, 2011

Word Play Quilts, by Tonya Ricucci

Word Play Quilts, by Tonya Ricucci, published by published by Martingale & Company, Home of That Patchwork Place, is a book that can help you make quilts with a voice!

Tonya leads into this book sharing insights on her phrase "Liberated quiltmaking".  I think her insights on liberated quiltmaking definitely describe her style of quilting.  It also does a great job to kick-start readers of this quilt book to get inspired as they learn Tonya's tips to improvise, use free-piecing, and follow intuitive quilting.  I think after you read this book, you'll agree with Tonya that librated quilting is never boring.  Word Play Quilts are definitely fun!

Wonky letters is a great way to describe Tonya's approach to word play.  She shares guidelines on how to make them her way, but also encourages you to break the rules and make them differently, accepting the fact that it is ok to break the rules and not be afraid of making mistakes. 

Tonya shares insights on choosing fabric, looking for contrast, fabrics that work well for letters and creating appropriate quilts that emphasize words.  Insights are shared on cutting strips to help make the letters, basics for making unruly letters, how to turn those letters into words and create a block with a word.

There are three projects with well written instructions and visuals to make cute word quilts.  But, overall,  I view this book as a technique book, that will give you  encourgement and skills to help you make quilts with a voice!  

If you haven't ever made a quilt that speaks, challenge yourself.  This book will certainly help you make quilts that will have a voice.


This is a great book for an experienced quilter that wants to create fun quilts that speak! 

I hope you have a chance to check out this fun book at your local quilt store, or online at the Martingale & Company store.  I'm certainly looking forward to seeing more quilts made, using Tonya's techniques, as I do love a quilt that speak!



Become a liberated quilter!

  

19 comments:

Cheryl Lynch Quilts said...

I am working on a Quilt of Valor and plan on using Word PLay for the borders. It sure looks like fun.

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

I know there is a blog where people post their Word Play Blocks. Not sure who is in charge of it but there are a lot of different people posting on there. http://unrulyquilting.blogspot.com/

Joanne Lendaro said...

Love these quilts!! We have a couple of non-traditional quilters in the guild that I belong too, and love how they break all of the "rules".

Cheryl Willis said...

it is always fun to see how the word quilts are evolving. years ago i rarely saw anyone thinking outside the box, now the majority of my quilting friends have at least tried it once. cw

Jocelyn said...

I've seen some blogs who have posted quilts using this book. They look so fun and interesting. Great way to personalize.

Glenna @ Hollyhock Quilts said...

These are great! Thanks for sharing...

Brenda said...

Hey SewCalGal! wonky letters are fun and once you start, you won't stop. the book is great!

deborah said...

I just received this wonderful book, and can highly recommend it! I'm going to make my own wonky word quilt soon. Tonya is a fantastic teacher, her instructions are clear and easy to follow.

Joanna said...

Those quilts look interesting. The book would be helpful for seasonal quilting when you might want to spell out sentiments. I'll have to check it out.

Wacky Woman said...

I really, really like these quilts. What fun!

Tiff Blakey said...

Looks like fun. Though I'm pretty sure I already break tons of rules.

Barb said...

I have seen these word plays and find them to be fun...thanks for the insight!

Karen said...

I have got to find this book!! Have never tried anything like this, but it looks like so much fun :)!!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

This looks like a fun book!

KaHolly said...

What a fun book!!

Lynn said...

Such a fun way to express yourself!

Tonya Ricucci said...

thanks for the review - I'm glad you liked it. and kwiltmakr, the UnRulyQuilting blog is one that I'm in charge of, a place where quilters can show off their letters and other liberated unruly work.

rubyslipperz1052 said...

"don't let me break out the flying monkeys"...o, oh, OH...Ruby, sure does LOVE this one!!

I've never thought about putting words, phrases on a quilt. Now, the possibilities are gonna run away with my mind.

hugZ,
annie

Julie said...

Such wonderful prizes. I would be interested in #9 #10 #12 #18 #29

Julie

momrito@aol.com.