> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Using Modern Quilting Tools together: AccuQuilt & SLICE

I love how modern quilting tools help me make quilts and other items, faster than traditional quilting tools and methods. While I'm not saying that I'm ready to give up my rotary cutter, rulers, or tracing pens, I will admit that I certainly find that it doesn't take me as long to make things when I use a modern tool, and it is even more fun and even faster when I use two or more modern tools on the same project.

Here is an example:

I wanted to make some "Happy Easter" banners to go into gift baskets & care baskets for family & friends. But I didn't have a lot of time to spend.









Using the AccuQuilt GO! and the GO! Triangle Isosceles die I quickly cut 5"x6" pennants, after preparing 6 1/2" wide strips of fabric with top & bottom fabrics pressed together with Steam-a-seam. This quickly created two sided ready to go pie pieces, that made perfect pennants.



















Using the SLICE, by Memory Makers, I quickly cut 2 1/2" letters, using single layer fabric strips that were also prepared with Steam-a-seam. SLICE also has a good fabric adhesive product, but I've had good luck with "fresh" steam-a-seam and it happened to be what I had on hand.















note: The SLICE will cut designs in a variety of sizes, from 1" to 4" in 1/2" increments. For this banner project, I found the 2 1/2" letter size to be my preferred size.















It was very easy to iron on the letters cut with the SLICE to the pennants cut with the GO!

I used Aurifil threads on all of the banners. On some of the banners I sewed a simple straight stitch, free-motion stitch, to secure the applique letters to the pennant, and a curvy wave to secure the two sandwich pie shaped pennants together. Yet, on others, I had a blast using free-motion machine embroidery (threadplay) to embellish and secure the letters on the pennant. Aurifil's beautiful colors and quality worked great. And, I just love the free-motion machine embroidery outline that highlights each letter in the banner!



















This project was so simple and the banner really looks cute up on a wall. And I had fun create banners quickly, in a variety of styles. I just wish my camera could take better pictures, but I hope you get the idea.












The possibilities of projects using an AccuQuilt GO!, GO! Baby, or Studio and a SLICE, are endless. And your projects will surely be very fast and accurate! Yes, using modern quilting tools are my preferred way to sew. And using two or more modern quilting tools together just increases the fun and possibilities.

I've been getting many behind the scenes questions on AccuQuilt products vs SLICE. As such, I'm planning on sharing more insights in the near future on each of these machines, as well as how they can work together to create a very complimentary project. SewCalGal enjoys both of these products, as well as other modern quilting tools, and hope you will too!

11 comments:

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Awesome! I've learned the wonders of the GO for these projects but that SLICE looks quite interesting. Hmmm...

Barb said...

That is sooooooooooooooooo wonderful. I enjoyed reading how you did each sequence...just loved it!

Anonymous said...

That is such a neat project! Thanks for sharing it! I don't have those tools, and you're right, it would take me a LONG time to get that done! I love your fabric choices and thread play!
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Hey, Hey, Hey....you never told me you had a Slice too. Now Girlfriend....do send all your fun ideas my way....and some time too :)

Hugs,
Kelly

WoolenSails said...

I like the idea of being able to cut out letters and small items for quilting.
I do like the computerized ones, so you can make your own and you don't have to buy dies to go with it.

Debbie

free indeed said...

First I've heard about the Slice tool. Will have to read up on it and see what it can do. I'd like to be able to do letters like that...

Kim said...

Oh I got it bad...I want these so much! How long until Santa comes around again? Darn just like a man never around when ya need em!

Oh yes these will be mine!!!

Happy sewing and thanks for the great info as always

fabricartist21 said...

Darlene, I just want to thank you for always commenting on my blog, such as it is. It is nice to have friends lik you and others.

Your blogs are wonderful and always have such good and useful info.

Pat said...

I have been reading up on all these new tools to help cut fabric and trully am greatful for these up close and personal notes. Is there such a thing as knowing to much, I still can not make up my mind. May I should just get one or two and take back the one I do not like, but what if I like them all. oh oh what to do. LOL

suemac said...

I have an Accu-quilt Go Baby that I got for Christmas. I have used it a few times and I have some beautiful batik to make one of their free quilt patterns but have not done it yet. It is on my list.

Mary said...

I just got a SLICE for 34.99 (cartridges 8.39) at Hobby Lobby- they are discontinuing aqua for pink. I noticed mine is your model . I am having a hard time with the numbers for an advent calendar. I am using Wonder Under. Can you give tips for using the regular slice with fabric? I am having a really hard time with the number 5...that curve makes the fabric jump up and distort. Thanks for the post!