> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Road to California 2011 Quilters Conference and Showcase Is A World Class Quilt Event

When you do something extremely well, it is difficult to imagine doing it better.  But, every year the Road to California Quilters Conference and Showcase gets better and better.  And the 2011 show has gone above and beyond with being well orchastrated, having an amazing list of workshops, lectures, beautiful quilts brilliantly displayed, and wonderful vendors.  This is truly a World Class quilt show, at an amazing value, set in sunny Southern California.  What an amazing oportunity.

This week I have had the opportunity to observe quilt show judges, to understand the judging process.  Watch photographers document every quilt and sewn item entered.  Understand the behind the scenes work that goes on to coordinate logistics and beautiful displays.  And spend a day at this exceptional show.  The only bad news I can say, is that I can not report all my findings at one time.  There is just too much great information to share, thus I've decided to share insights with you over the next couple of days, with plans for some follow-up articles as I spend more time sharing in-depth insights on my findings. 

Today, I want to heighten awareness on some new products that I found at this show, as well as increase awareness on some fantastic vendors.  If you are able to go to the Road to California show this weekend I hope you'll take time to visit these vendors. And, if you are not able to go this weekend, I hope you will be able to visit their stores,  check out their online stores, or even ask for their products at your local quilt store, as appropropriate.

Here are highlights of my observations with some amazing vendors at this show today.  Sadly, too many wonderful vendors for me to share insights on all of them today, but I do want to encourage you to check them out.

Kaleidoscope Collections is a fun software package that allows you to turn any image ito a Kaleidoscope, change the background to look like fabric (and more) where you can print on fabric to create spectacular designs for your quilts.  They have released two new add on packs to create "Filigree" or "Snowflake" based designs. 

SewEzi tables  has wonderful portable sewing tables.  They've come out with several new products, including extension tables to provice more surface area to work on, but for those that use SewEzi tables on multiple sewing machines you will want to check out their new "Quick Change" kit that lets you quickly adapt your table to a variety of sewing machines.


Quilt in Clay has released several new designs of spectacular jewelry made with polymer clay.  Jennifer continues to create beautiful quilt art jewelry that amazes and delights the eye.  The details of her quilt blocks are always spectacular.  I do belive she deserves a special award for all her contributions to our wonderful world of quilting.  Please email me if you are also a fan of Quilt in Clay and have ideas for how to recognize her contribution.  In the meantime I'll will continue to admire her work and be delighted when I see quilters wear her works of art.

Quilt Album software has a very easy to use software package that helps you catalog your quilt photos (or any photo) and easily create your own quilt album, greeting card, quilt label, or more.  The ability to see the demonstration at the show is definitely worth your time, and they have a great show special price too.  But either way, this is a very reasonably priced software package that is very easy to use.

Cozy Quilt Designs is always a "Star of the Show".  Their booth was packed with beautiful patterns, fabrics, kits, books and more.  Daniela Stout, shared insights on many new patterns that are available at this show.  Be sure to ask about their "Transitions kit" with new Robert Kaufman Fabrics and their Braidwork Pattern with "Stonehinge Strip Fabric.  Absolutely brilliant! 


And what ever you do, don't miss a chance to chat with the talented Sharyn Craig and hear about her new Cutting Corners Ruler.  If you buy one thing this year, I recommend that it is this new ruler.  You'll love it!

Fabric Patch has a cute booth full of wonderful quilting items.  Within their booth, I had the pleasure of meeting Cherry Good, of Cherry Good Quilt Designs.  She has a number of beautiful quilt designs, all well written with great visuals and color instructions on all pages, that look to be very easy to follow.  She is also designing patterns for new lines of Hoffman fabrics.  I think this talented designer is one that you'll want to make many beautiful quilts with her designs and I'm certainly looking forward to making quilts with her designs and seeing more quilts made by fellow quilters with her designs too.  Do talk to your LQS if you do not find her designs.  


Irena Bluhm Designs was an absolute delight to find at this show.  This was my first opportunity to meet Irena, and gain insight on what this talented designer and teacher has contributed to our wonderful world of quilting.  I was automatically inspired and looking forward to the opportunity to take a class with Irena.  She has an amazing number of books on free-motion quilting, and a few DVDs.  While I've not had the chance to read her books or watch her dvds, I must say that what I saw at this show is that they are excellent.   She is a brilliant free-motion quilter, and she has a wonderful style of painting on whole cloth fabric, enhancing beautiful quilting designs.  From my brief time chatting with her, I think she should be a must presenter to any guild and teacher at any quilt shop that wants to inspire others for free-motion quilting and painting on fabrics. Very talented quilter and I do hope you get a chance to meet her at this show. 

Quilt in a Day had an excellent vendor booth, with Eleanor Burns answering questions, inspiring quilters and delighting everyone.  I am always amazed how this talented woman can continually bring good cheer and inspiration to quilters, throughout the world.  She is "Lady Eleanor", and I clearly understand why she won the "Lifetime Achivement" Award in the 2010 Golden Quilter Awards. 

Her booth was full of beautiful thread kits, fabric, patterns and books.  And, she also had demonstrations of the new AccuQuilt GO! Baby which I wanted to cuddle and take home.
And remember to print a copy of Quilt In A Day's 30% off coupon, if you are going to the show.

Luella's Quilt Basket always delights.  I learned that they have become a licensed distributor of some fun new machine embroidery designs by Purely Gates Embroidery that has some beautiful whimsical designs that are adapted to mylar.  I hope to be able to share more insights about these fun new designs soon, but if you have a chance, do visit Luella's and be sure to ask about Purely Gates Embroidery designs.


John Flynn is the featured artist at this show. There is an amazing exhibit of his beautiful quilts at this show, and I enjoyed my opportunity to meet with him and see him work on a spectacular quilt.  I could have easily have had a wonderful time at this show, sitting by John all day long, watching him quilt, and asking him questions.  I only hope I have more opportunities to meet with John, and take a class with him in the future.But as I also love seeing all his wonderful products that he has in his vendor booth, at this show, I can truly recommend that every quilter stop by his booth and check out his amazing kits, rulers and quilt frames.  And I do hope you are blessed with an opportunity to meet this talented man in person. He has certainly given the quilting world so many gifts.   

Sizzix has an excellent demonstration on using their fabric die cutting machine, which will cut multiple layers of fabric using Sizzix, AccuCut, and  AccuQuilt dies. 

beyond the reef has some wonderful patterns designed by Natalie Barnes.  I can't wait to make her Aloha Bears and her Aloha wallhanging, along with many of her other patterns.  She also has many wonderful books and other items, but I will confess that I love her tropical fabrics, all at great prices.

Honey Run Quilters was named as a Top Ten Quilt Shop by American & Quilting Quilt Sampler Magazine and featured in the Fall 2009 issue.  While I've not been to their store, their vendor booth is delightful and I can understand why they were recognized by A&Q Mag as being a Top Ten Quilt Shop.  They have beautifully coordinated fabric bundles, yummy fabric by the yard, and "must have" jewelry and items made by Pam Bush.  I do hope you have a chance to visit their booth at this show, or their shop in Chico California (or online).

Again, I do  hope you have a chance to visit the Road to California Quilt Show this weekend. This show is packed with wonderful vendors and amazing products.

The show runs thru this Sunday and is at the Ontario Convention Center.  And, if you can't make it this year, I hope you'll plan on attending it next year.  If you live out of the area, please remember this is a wonderful quilt show to attend, with broad range of workshops and an excellent show, all in sunny Southern California. 

Quilters  from around the world come to this show.  I even met one woman who came from the North-East US, and shared that she had been walking around her hotel to find the pool.  She soon found out that in Southern California that the pools are "outside", and she was happy to take her swim in weather that can be high 70's/low 80's in the middle of winter!  so, please come and enjoy a wonderful quilt conference and show, along with some sunny Southern California weather. 



15 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Thank you for sharing your time at the Conference/Show. Oh, how to meet all these people - only a dream. Look forward to more.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Thank you for all of you information. I will be there on Saturday!

Susan said...

I'm going, I'm going! Thank you for highlighting some of the great vendors. I saw Honey Run at the LB Quilt show and can't wait to see their booth again.

Barb said...

What an amazing post, I enjoyed every bit of it and so much to make the mind whirl and want to come...sorry, not this year.

Nicole Morris said...

I'll be there! Thanks for the skinny!

Jocelyn said...

Wow Darlene, thanks for all the insights about the Road to California. It sounds wonderful.

paulette said...

Thanks for sharing...just waiting for my ride and we are off to the Road!! After reading your blog I am REALLY excited!! Can't wait! I've added all these booths to my
'must see list'! Take care!
Paulette

Dana Gaffney said...

Wonderful post, I have been jumping through the links you provided, learning as I go. You are one lucky woman to have all of this happening so close to you. Keep the pictures and info coming so we can all live it with you.

WoolenSails said...

What wonderful booths and quilts. I would love to be able to see all of it in person and see the demonstrations, but I will enjoy it through your eyes.

Debbie

Jan said...

Sorry I'll miss this, we have an out of town wedding to attend. It's all about timing.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Holy Schmokin SewCalGal....you really covered some ground and have posted already!!! You are GOOD.

The Kaleidoscope Kreations new additions are incredible. I have them and I'm telling you they are absolutely beautiful.

It is not fair that I get to meet with Lady Eleanor here and you there....but you and I have not had an opportunity to be together....this must change!!!

I'm sure you are filled up with creative ideas and joy.

Smiles,
Kelly

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Wow - so much good stuff (and there's more to come)! Very fun. Thanks for sharing with us!

Unknown said...

Awesome write-up! Thanks! Now if I can just get out of the booth to see some of these vendors... ;)

Kim said...

Oh what a nice peek at the show for those of us frozen in here on the East coast.

Happy Sewing

natalie. beyond the reef said...

Thanks so very much for including beyond the reef in your Road to California tour! We appreciate your lovely comments, too. HappiestDays!! Natalie.