> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Saturday, January 1, 2011

May 2011 bring you kind words of encouragement and support

I do wish you a happy and healthy New Year.  And I wish for everyone to give and receive more words of encouragement and support to all quilting, sewing and embroidery enthusiasts.  Well, actually, more kind words and support for everyone! 

I'd like to see that budding designer in you blossom as I know you can design and create beautiful projects.  I'd like to see you write and publish a pattern or book, as I've seen your ideas and I know you can capture your ideas in writing and inspire others.  You are very talented and have a gift that I want to see grow and shared with others.

Don't listen to that person that looks at your project and doesn't say "Brilliant" or other kind words.  Those people that instantly say, "I don't like those colors" or something else non-supportive can have their words trucked off to the dump.  We don't need to hear negative words that shut down the spirit of creativity.  We need a world filled with encouraging and supportive words like "spectacular", "excellent", "lovely", "great job" and so many others.


We need encouraging words and support and we need to create a world that provides this to others.  This is my wish for you in 2011 and I hope you will help make it happen. 

When you look at a quilt, sewn garment, or embroidery project in the future I hope you will look for something positive and share some encouragement and kind words with the creator.  When you see a pattern or book I hope you will take time to find something to compliment the author.  These people took time to create, to give from their heart and inner spirit and to share with us. 


 

Gifts back to the quilting world can take many forms.  A great example is that of Wayne Kollinger who is the author of "Designing Quilts is Easy".  While I've not had a chance to read this book, I enjoy reading Wayne's Blog and I admire his talents and appreciate his willingness to continually give back to the quilting community.  He also wrote "How I gave birth to a Book" which has wonderful insights to inspire and help those future authors.



Wayne is always looking for ways to inspire others.  He also Wayne is also interested in sharing the story of designers on his blog. You can email Wayne and share insights on why you design and he'll post about it on his blog.  I do respect and admire Wayne for his on-going contributions to our world of quilting and all his kind words and encouragement he is always willing to share with others.  And his post today shares inspirational insights on why he designs.  I hope you'll check it out.

You can design with many tools.  Some great designers doodle on paper and create beautiful projects.  I doodle with EQ7.  For me, EQ7 enables me to dream, to create, to play and to learn.  Everytime I play in EQ7 I learn more about this robust tool, but EQ isn't about the tool it is about creating, about designing. 

What ever tools you use, I hope you enjoy creating and designing in 2011.  And I hope you receive encouraging words and support for all your projects, as well as you look for opportunities to encourage and support others.

Happy New Year.


32 comments:

Mommarock said...

That is a very thoughtful and kind post. I was thinking, wouldn't it be nice if there were little buttons of kind words you could leave on peoples blogs.. now that would be wonderful..some blog genius (smarter than me) needs to create buttons of beauty with beautiful words to share.

Wacky Woman said...

Hear... Hear!!! Excellent post!

Patty said...

Thank you! Love it! Good words for the new year!

MarveLes Art Studios said...

AWESOME! Right on! And I love "Mommarock's" comment... what a great idea! All the best to you for a wonderful blog, and helpful insight and ... welllllll ROCK ON!(for lack of something more poignant to say!)
Leslie

Janet said...

A beautiful post for the new year - well said and thank you!

jfquilts@gmail.com

Melissa Corry said...

What an amazingly beautiful post. You touched me so thank you. I just got EQ 7 for my anniversary gift and I am so looking forward to playing with it :) (and who knows, I might be sending you some questions along the way as I learn :)

Soggibottom said...

Hope you had a great birthday, Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

Brilliant, spectacular Lady have a great year :-) x x x

Chatterbox Quilts said...

Loved your post! Wouldn't it be great if everyone took these words to heart and acted on them? Nice words about Wayne too - one of our own Canadians and Calgarians. I remember talking to Wayne about his book when it was still in the planning stages and was so pleased for him when it came out. Maybe we can look for something else from him in the future? :)
Happy New Year to you - keep posting your encouraging and educational posts!

Barb said...

I think the one person that needs to speak kind words is our inner self...sometimes we can be pretty harsh with ourselves. What great insight....you do have a way of teaching and encouraging.

Wayne Kollinger said...

Darlene

Thank you for your kind words about me. I have a thought I'd like to share that fits in with your thoughts on kind words.


When I meet a new quilt I ask 3 questions - What do I like? Why do I like it? What if....?

Asking, "What do I like?" helps me find the something in the quilt that ought to be encouraged.

Asking, "Why do I like it?" teaches me something about what makes for good design.

Asking, "What if...?" shows me not only how this quilt can be improved, but also what I can do to improve my own quilts.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

I'll raise my glass and toast to that post! Toast to a post....hey that rhymes ...feeling silly today :)

Smiles,
Kelly

Dana Gaffney said...

Well done! What a wonderful post. Sharing kindness and supporting others is the way we should all live. Thanks.

Kate said...

Wonderful post for any day, but especially appropriate for New Years day. Thank you.

Barb in Mi said...

Wow, love it! Thanks for such an inspiring post! The quilting blogging world and its positive attitude have helped me through the year 2010 - thanks to passionate & generous people like you!

Ivory Spring said...

Great post, Darlene. Thanks for the encouragement.

Nanbon44 said...

Here's to Kind words

Have a fantastic New Year...

Kim D. said...

Thanks for the Encouragement Darlene, wonderful post!

Linda said...

Great words to start off a new year. Thanks so much for the encouraging words.
You said it beautifully! Happy New Year.

Angie Padilla said...

Thank you, Darlene, for your words of encouragement and inspiration. It was great getting to "meet" you over the past year and I am looking forward to further opportunities to do something together in 2011! The best to you.

harleywife57/ Mickey White said...

what nice encouraging words that will inspire many ! thank you for this wonderful post !

Talin's Corner said...

Happy New Year and what a wonderful post. There should be more people out there like you. I hope this year brings all of us more finished projects and less UFO's.

Becky said...

Great words of wisdom! Thanks for inspiring us to encourage each other! Thanks for your wonderful blog! Take care!

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Oh Darlene - I love this. You're so right - we should all encourage each other! Great post!!

Millie said...

Good words for the new year, being kind is always on top of my list.

Anonymous said...

Darlene,

Thank you for some wonderful words.

Wishing you a happy year .... may your threads never tangle!

Judy B

Calicojoan said...

Beautiful post. With our blogging network, it will be easy to pass along that word of encouragement. I think it's a perfect New Years resolution!

Miss Hillbilly said...

Bloggers are so good at encouraging!! I was on a quilters forum that had one lady that might not be discouraging about a quilt per say but she sure had a way of not being nice.

I have quilted for a long time; but haven't gotten out of my comfort zone on designing or doing the types of quilts that I really desire to do. I seem to be 'needy' when it comes to encouragement. My poor husband couldn't care a lick about quilting and I am always asking him what he thinks of something.

You have got me thinking...perhaps I don't need the encouragement. I just need to DO IT!

DaCraftyLady said...

Great words for the New Year!! 3 cheers!!! Debb

harleywife57/ Mickey White said...

I read that YOU were one of the WINNERS from Pat Sloan's weekend ! CONGRATS to you !!!

Inch Worm Fabrics said...

You are so right. Thanks for the words of encouragement and support you give your readers. You are the best cheerleader for the rest of us. You have a great New Year filled with love and encouragement.

Juels said...

I couldn't agree more. Anything anyone creates comes from the heart. It is a piece of the maker. And I believe it is important to support that in ourselves and each other.

Inspiration abounds if we take the time to look for it.

sophia said...

Excellent post for new year..Loved it