> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Lighted Seam Ripper & Magnifier, by Mighty Bright

I had the opportunity to evaluate the new "Lighted Seam Ripper & Magnifier", by Mighty Bright and wanted to share insights with you.


This seam ripper is very lightweight and has a comfortable ergometric design.  The 4x magnifier is a perfect size to help rip fine threads, and the Mighty Bright LED light really helps to highlight where you want to do some "reverse sewing".  Overall, I found this product very easy to use and definitely easy on the eyes.  At a retail price of $9.99 one could also say that this product is easy on the pocket book too!

I believe this seam ripper is going to be very popular with quilting and sewing enthusiasts that have a difficult time seeing threads embedded in seams.  But, while this seam ripper does cut threads, the blade is a little too thick and not quite as sharp as other seam rippers, thus this wouldn't be a seam ripper that I would recommend for machine embroidery enthusiasts.  I found the blade on this seam ripper doesn't work well with dense stitches, as one finds with machine embroidery projects.

http://www.mightybright.com/


Update:
I am checking with the Manufacturer to be able to share a list of retailers where you can find this seam ripper in stock, and I will update this post as I know more.  But you can order it from Mighty Bright online.  And I've also heard that Cozy Quilt Shop online, will be shipping this product early January.


8 comments:

Wendy said...

Thank you for the review .... I really like the idea of the magnifier and the light so may have to find one. Just not on really detailed stitching. Thanks!

Kim D. said...

Thanks for the review Darlene, I've never seen this product. I have a very fine seam ripper and love it for ripping out those tiny stitches, but this looks even better with the magnifier. Do you know if we could find it at Joann's? Gotta use those coupons when we can. LOL

sunny said...

Santa left one in my stocking, and I'm in love with it already. Unfortunately, I do my fair share of reverse sewing, and my eyesight isn't what it used to be.

Barb said...

Thanks for the info, this does look like a very useful tool.

quiltingnana said...

will have to look for one....now if they would invent one that comes when you call it, I would be in heaven. I have at least three but can never find one when I need it... Happy New Year

free indeed said...

Thanks for the review. Haven't seen this product advertised yet, but it would certainly have caught my interest. My eyes are just beginning the downward spiral :P

Angie said...

Fun tool! Thanks for sharing. It is always good to hear reviews from people that use the products...

Sparky said...

OK< I have got to get me one of those..not that I ever would use it..never need it lol. But if I did...I could see it...lol