> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Fast Favorites From McCall's Quilting

"Fast Favorites from McCalls Quilting", published by Martingale & Company, Home of That Patchwork Place, is a recently released book that is already a best seller!  And SewCalGal believes this book is going to be in hot demand for a very long time.

McCalls Quilting has been creating wonderful quilt patterns for generations, where just about every quilter is familiar with McCall's Quilting family of magazines.  They pride themselves on publishing accurate, complete patterns for quilts of all descriptions.  And they also create quilt patterns that are fast, that work with fat quarters, Jelly Roll strips, fat eights, or other precuts, along with sharing insights on various time-saving techniques for their patterns. 

This quilting book contains 20 patterns that are easy to follow, have inspirational photos, and great visuals.  Sizes range from 16 3/4" x 31 3/4" to 81"x92".

The majority of the designs are pieced blocks, with a few including simple applique.

There is also a nice section on Basic Quiltmaking Instructions which provides insight on rotary cutting, machine piecing, chain piecing, applique' (freezer paper for hand or machine, needle-turn hand applique', fusible applique'), borders, finishing , and more. 

These beautiful projects would look great in a variety of colorways.

Nearly all the patterns are fat quarter friendly; many are suitable for other precuts as well.


Excellent ideas for making beautiful quilts quickly, yet will last for generations.


Seems to me that I can think of someone that I'd love to give a quilt to with every pattern in this book, as well as designs that I'd love to make to have in my home.
I have so many fond memories of making quilts with patterns from McCalls Quilting. Have you ever made a quilt with a pattern from McCalls Quilting? Do you subscribe to any of their magazines?  

http://www.martingale-pub.com/







5 comments:

Wacky Woman said...

That looks like a great book.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

all of the quilts pictured are so great - I see a couple that are calling to me to make them!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Kim D. said...

I agree this looks like a good book. I used to get the magazine, but now I just buy an issue at Joann's when I see one I like.

Brita said...

Absolutely have made quilts from McCalls quiting magazine, I love it. The book is interesting, I'll have to check it out!

ferne said...

I do subscribe to their magazine and have used a lot of the block patterns from their website. I am going to have to get this book because it looks like a great compilation of the best of the best!