> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Double Cross, by Clare O'Donohue






















Set in the beautiful Adirondack Mountains, an old home is being fixed up to become a B&B for quilters.  This "Patchwork Bed-and-Breakfast" is owned by a couple that know nothing about quilting, but are smart enough to hire Susanne Hendrick, as a quilt instructor to come help.  Suzanne brings with her Nell Fitzgerald, Eleanor Cassidy, Bernadette "Bernie" Avallone.  Unfortunately the quilters had no idea what a broken down place they were going to.

Bernie still has a soft spot in her heart for her high school boyfriend, George Olnhausen, who is the owner of this new B&B. When George is murdered, many wonder if Bernie was the killer.  But the plot thickens as others are revealed as suspects, for a variety of reasons, including George's spouse.  Other bodies are found in the woods and the plot thickens, all while the first quilt retreat is being held at this delightful B&B. 

Nell is the quilting sleuth that become suspicious and sets off on investigating even when the police have begun to investigate.  Mysterious things happen, with a variety of quilting treasures disappear, bones being found, and complex relationships being revealed.

While I can't give away all the details, I can share my own opinion.  The Double Cross is a fun read that is quite entertaining. I actually would love to see this book made into a movie and/or play.  Clare O'Donohue did a great job with this book.  I am already looking forward to reading other books that she has written. 

The Double Cross book would certain make a great gift too, and a perfect stocking stuffer! 

Also, Clare will be holding some book signings on Nov. 9th in NYC at the City Quilter., and Nov. 11th in Hamilton, NY at the Colgate Bookstore.


http://www.clareodonohue.com/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh, I hope my buddy Pat sees this... I'll have to download one of these books. I love a good themed "book candy" mystery...

Squee!

Toni said...

OO another book to add to my reading list. My reading list is like my quilting list....long :)

Cynthia Stockdon said...

I love a good book! Thanks for the review.