> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

House Party

I love quilts and going into a home that is decorated with beautiful quilts, pillows and various handmade items.  But I've never picked up the talent for decorating a home.  Thus, I was very excited to find a book that really helps to show how to create beautiful quilted items, but also how to use them to decorate a home.

"House Party: Coordinated Quilts and Pillows", by Sue Hunt is a delightful new book published by Martingale & Company, home of That Patchwork Place.  This book has 12 patterns, for six pillows and six wallhangings. Decorating ideas shows way to use quilts as table toppers, on chairs, and, of course, on walls. All designs are well written, with great visuals and inspirational photos, and all perfect items for decorating your home, as well as for gifts.
This book contains an excellent section on Quiltmaking Basics, that shares insights on pressing, foundation piecing, making templates, freezer-paper applique and bias-strip applique.  Insights are also provided for Pillow contruction to help you quilt your pillow top, make piping, cover buttons, and constructing a pillow back. And, of course, insights are provided on Wall-Hanging contruction.  Thus, I view this book is also an excellent book for a beginner quilting and/or sewing enthusiast.

I am truly inspired by House Party to decorate my home with quilted items, as well as making gifts. I hope you'll check out this book, as I think you'll also like it.


http://www.martingale-pub.com/

5 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I've not seen this new book, but I LOVE the blue and white projects.

West Michigan Quilter said...

I love this book. I made the blue snowflake pillow. Lots of other good things in there too!

Quiltingranny said...

Thank you so much for your admission! I can't decorate to save my life...however my husband and best friend are amazing and they did all the paint schemes in my home. Now, I have another friend who is going to come help me put my house together. Love the pics and the book looks fun!

Pokey said...

This one looks like a winner! I'm gonna look for it, thanks!

Millie said...

I have seen the book on the internet, I think it is a book I like to buy too. I love the blue quilt and matching pillow. Cute basket quilt!