> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Cat Week: Can a cat be a muse?

















I love this cat button, but I've lost my "muse".  I'm not certain what I should do with this cute button.   I'm thinking my muse left me, when my first legitimate four legged child passed away, at the age of 19.  Yes, Mangoman was adopted into our family, after we had been married one year.  Planned Parenthood - we adopted an orange tabby from the local shelter.  And Mangoman, aka my snuggle buddy, became my muse.  I just don't think I realized how much he was my muse, at the time.  It has been over a year, and I still miss my little Mangoman.  Now I'm lost as to what to do with this cute cat button, and I know I don't have the spark in my projects that I did previously.

When I started this blog, I did it to research and learn.  Lately, I've been searching to understand if a cat can be a muse?  I'm pondering if cats really can inspire?  Can cats help us select fabric & design? 

Are there cat angels?  Have I overlooked the powers of a cat as an artistic muse?

The definition of a muse is to become absorbed in thought; especially : to turn something over in the mind meditatively and often inconclusively.  Thus, I wonder if "A cat can be a muse?" does a cat turn thoughts over and meditate on creative ideas? 


The Muses, in Greek mythology, are a sisterhood of goddesses or spirits who embody the arts and inspire the creation process with their graces through remembered and improvised song and stage, writing, traditional music and dance. The Muses are water nymphs associated with the springs of Helicon and with Pieris (from which they are sometimes called the Pierides). According to Hesiod’s Theogony (7th century BC), they are the daughters of Zeus (king of the gods) and Mnemosyne (goddess of memory).

As I think about this, I wonder if I can find evidence to show that a cat "is"  or "is not" capable of being an artistc muse.

There is a book "Everything I Know About Life I Learned from My Cat", by  Lesley Anne Ivory.  I've not read this book, but the title sounds like this book might have some proof of a cats' talents at being a muse.  But I wonder, why isn'ter there a book "Everything I learned about Quilting I learned from my cat"?  And, I have plenty of evidence to share with you this week about how cats help with quilting and other creative projects!
 
There is a quote from Jules Verne:  "I believe cats to be spirits come to earth. A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud without coming through."  This makes me wonder if cats really have talented souls. 
My research and insights will be shared with you this week.  I'm dedicating this coming week to "Cat Week:  Can a cat be a muse?".    I don't have all the answers.  As my research is on-going, if you have any insights or photos to show that cats are in fact (or not) an artistic muse,  please feel free to post comments this week or email me.    And, this week I'll share with you my insights on this topic.  Maybe by the end of the week we can all form our own opinion to answer the question "Can a cat be a muse?".  And, with luck, I'll find inspiration on what to do with this cute cat button. 

I also want to thank those that have helped me in my quest to the question "Can a cat be a muse?" and have shared insights.  While I plan to recognize as many of those that contributed, when I reference you in my sharing, I hope that when I do share your photos and/or insights, you send me an email with your name and mailing address.  I have a little gift to send to those that have helped with "Cat Week". 

3 comments:

Beena said...

I think a cat can absolutely be a Muse. Although a Muse is more commonly thought to bear the embodiment of a female, I think this concept has evolved considerably since the days of Zeus. I think a Muse can be almost anything (or anybody, cats included)...could be a song, could be a color, or anything else which an artist draws upon for inspiration. Inspiration has many faces...and yes, it just might be the face of a feline friend!

Mama Spark said...

I think cats are most certainly muses. I am sorry for the loss of your friend after 19 years. Don't you see that you have already answered your own question?? If your inspiration has evaporated with his passing that is the answer to your question. For you he was your muse. I think you need to seriously consider getting another one. We had our cat, Rimshot for almost that long and then she passed. Now we have 5, all with very different purrsonalities! Good Luck and I hope you get another feline muse very soon.

Swan Threads said...

I think a cat can be a muse, if they choose to be.
As to the cute cat button - I have a denim jacket that I attach my cat buttons to. I have quite a collection on that jacket now and will look for that cute cat button to add to it.