> ~ Insights by SewCalGal ~

Monday, April 20, 2009

12 Pocket Bag






















I've enjoyed making versions of my 12 pocket bag for many years. When I make them for gifts I will frequently machine embroider a design, name, or monogram on the bag print or pockets. I also make these bags and fill with goodies for charity fundraisers. They are a handy bag not just for those shopping for groceries, but for those that like to garden, quilt, go to sew-cials, or anyone in need of a lightweight bag that is willing to carry a load, yet look great while doing so.






















While I am not a professional pattern maker, I wanted to share my pattern with you. You have my permission to make bags using this pattern for your own use, for gifts, or fundraisers, but not for profit.

SUPPLIES NEEDED • Fabric A: Fat quarter for lining
• Fabric B: Fat quarter yard print for bag
• Fabric C: Fat quarter for stabilizer (*)
• Fabric D: ½ yard for large pockets
• Fabric E: ½ yard for small pockets
• 3 ¼ yards web for straps
• thread to match web

CUTTING STEPS
o Fabric A: 2 pcs 18" x 18" (lining)
o Fabric B: 2 pcs 18” x 18” (bag)
o Fabric C: 2 pcs 18” x18” (stabilizer)
o Fabric D: 2 pcs 22" x 18" ( large pockets)
o Fabric E: 2 pcs 16”x18” (small pockets)
o 2 pieces of web for straps, each 58 1/2” long

(*) Stabilizer is optional if Fabric A and/or Fabric B is stiff. I sometimes use canvas for Fabric B, or vinyl for Fabric A, and then I do not use stabilizer for Fabric C. But If both Fabric A & B are lightweight fabrics, such as cotton, I will use a stiff stabilizer for Fabric C. And definitely when I decide to embroider on Fabric B, I use a heavy weight stabilizer.

BAG, BODY & LINING STEPS
1. Stack Lining & Bag fabrics together (A&B), with right sides of fabric facing each other.
2. Stack stabilizer on top of bag fabric (B&C).
3. Sew one side of fabrics using ¼” seam with right sides of (A,B,C)
4. Repeat steps 1 thru 3, to create the other side of the bag.
5. On flat surface (I prefer my cutting mat) open where print side of fabric is facing up (A&B), in an open fashion (not stacked).































POCKET STEPS
1. Fold pocket fabric print in half crosswise: pocket should now measure 11 x 18 (D). Place folded D fabric on bag print fabric (B) with fold towards top.
2. Fold pock fabric print in half crosswise; pocket should now measure 8x18 (E). Place folded E fabric on top of large pocket (D) with fold side towards the top and cut sides lined with bottom of bag print (B).
3. Pin to hold in place.





















STRAP STEPS
1. Measure and mark 5"-6" form each side of body unit: repeat for second body unit.
2. Cut web strap into two pieces, each measuring 58 ½” long.
3. Pin 1 piece of web strap inside marking starting at lower left edge looping web over top and continuing down right side.
4. Topstitch web in place starting from bottom edge of unit up to 1" below top. Repeat for second body unit. I like to topstitch my web strap down, using a ¼ inch foot with a straight stitch on each side of the web strap.


























SEWING SIDES TOGETHER STEPS
1. Place both bag sides together, with front fabrics facing each other.
2. Match points together where straps meet, pockets meet, top of bag meets and lining meets.
3. Pin to hold together at match points, corners and as appropriate.
4. Sew a seam on three sides, leaving an opening at the top end of the lining {visualize a pillowcase}. I use a ¼” straight stitch seam, followed with a zig zag seam on the edge. But you could use a serger, as well as a 5/8” seam.

























FINAL STEPS
1. Box corners of the bottom of the bag, to help it stand flat when used. I mark the corner the same on each side, typical 2-3” from the point.



























2. Turn the bag where the bag fabric is on the outside and lining is on the inside of the fabric.
3. At the open end of the lining (the end of the pillowcase) you will sew and close by pressing a ½” seam, with the folded fabric of the lining going inside, towards the seam. Once pressed, pin the two sides of the lining together and sew ¼” seam to close up the lining.
4. Push the lining back down inside of the bag.
5. At the top of the bag, pin the lining down inside of the bag. Sew a ¼” seam around the top of the bag, holding the lining down inside of the bag.
































Congratulate yourself. You’ve just made a bag following instructions of a non-professional pattern maker. But feel free to email me, with any feedback to help make these instructions better. I’ll gladly revise with good constructive feedback.

11 comments:

Khris said...

Thanks for the tutorial...I have put this link on my freebies blog...hope thats okay...and I have borrowed your picture too....hugs Khris

Ewespecial said...

Great BAG!

Pokey said...

I'm such a sucker for a new bag! thank you for sharing this one! :-} pokey

Unknown said...

thank you for sharing.wonderfull.hugs

Jolene said...

Thanks so much for sharing. I made one in black, white and bright green. It turned out great.

Canadian Kristin said...

This looks totally do-able! Thank you for sharing! I think that sometimes 'nonprofessional' patterns are easier to follow so am super glad I stumbled up on this one of yours! Will try it and will send you a photo when I do!

Maria said...

Thanks for tutorial.

Anonymous said...

Love the bag..how can I print the pattern out, is there a way to do this? Thank you.

Fiber Babble said...

Thank you so much for sharing such a detailed tutorial!

I do have a question though - the fab requirements say 'Fabric A: Fat quarter for lining' then the cutting instructions say 'Fabric A: 2 pcs 18" x 18" (lining)'. Am I missing something or reading it wrong? A fat quarter is 18x22, isn't it?

Donna Baker said...

this is fabulous and what I've been looking for = made one with 6 pockets, and it looked WAY bigger in the picture on the web and it's TINY! TFS! great tutorial

Donna Baker said...

I just made my bag and I LOVE IT!! Will share a link once I get it posted on my bag - it's the BEST bag EVER!!