This post is intended to help followers of bloggers, as well as bloggers. The topic may not be exciting, but I hope you'll read it, pick up a few tips, and/or share it with others that may benefit.
There are many ways to follow a blog, with the two main categories are being a private follower or a public follower. Today, I want to talk about Public Followers (e.g. why, how, trouble shooting, etc). And, share insights that may help those that follow any blog, as well as bloggers that have followers. I also want to invite others to share their insights & recommendations, by way of leaving a comment on this post.
For Bloggers: There are a variety of reasons a blog may care how many followers they have, or who is publicly following, but one of the major reasons, is this is the number of Blog Followers is a blog metric. And, it is a blog metric that potential sponsors or advertisers use to determine if they want to sponsor a blog for a giveaway, or other type of sponsorship.
This post is not intended to annoy bloggers or non-bloggers, that don't care about the number of followers on one blog vs another. It isn't a matter of competition, but a matter of a blogger being able to provide visible metrics to a potential sponsor. Ultimately, if you enjoy and want to support any blog you should consider being a Public Follower of that blog.
You may follow a blog through a variety of methods: RSS feeds, Facebook, Twitter, NetworkedBlogs, Google Reader, or other tools. But, Google tools that are available for the Follower or those available for the Blogger may not recognize you as a Public Follower unless you complete a few steps that you may not have done for blogs you enjoy following.
To clarify, Google has a variety of Profiles (e.g. Google Profile, Google + Profile, Blogger Profile, etc.) and while your log in ID for these profiles may be the same, Google doesn't synch ALL info between these profiles. Thus, there are a few basic steps to be a "Public Follower" of a blog, that are frequently overlooked.
To start off, I want to share insights on how to Follow a Blog:
1) Have a free Google Account, which you can get at www.google.com. Even if you are a blogger on another platform, SewCalGal recommends you create a Google Account AND follow these steps.
2) Click the "Join this site button", which is located on the right hand column of this blog, but could be located in a variety of places on other blogs (take time to locate it on blogs you wish to follow).
3) Once you have a Google Account (and if you have a prior account you should still perform this step) go to http://www.blogger.com/edit-profile.g
Be sure the following are checked:
- share my profile
- show my email address
- show sites I follow
- scroll through the various fields and provide info, as you feel appropriate to share. Continue scrolling down to the bottom of the page and click the "save profile" button.
1) Check your profile. Leave a comment on a blog and then go back and click on your name, to view your profile.
2) This will take you to your "Blogger Profile" even if you do not have a blog. Tow key areas you want to check to see is visible on your blogger profile are:
- BLOGS I FOLLOW
To make changes go to: https://www.google.com/settings/account
1) EMAIL ADDRESSES should be edited, if it does not accurately reflect your email.
2) Go to: http://www.blogger.com/revert-
I hope this helps. It should also help resolve issues with no-reply bloggers, which are those that leave comments on a blog, but can't be contacted as their are issues with their settings.
SewCalGal will update this post, based on feedback and on-going learnings. I also hope you'll take time to check my post where I have maintained a log of those that enter giveaways on SewCalGal, but don't have their profile set so they could be contacted if their name is drawn. This post also has tips on how to change their settings too!